Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 09:48 PM

Anyone using an Email Alias to avoid spam, etc?

Apparently, the use of a fake email address, from a reputable firm, can help us from having to put up with most spam emails and a lot of scams.

The firm I found, on line is called anonaddy.com

I'm about to experiment with this but I'd like to know if others, on here, are already using this. if so, how is is going?

The write up is at this site:-

https://anonaddy.com/blog/why-you-sh...or-every-site/

At my usage level, I think the service will be free of charge.

I'm going to war with spam - this looks to be the weapon.

note: this is not an advert!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 12:48 AM

Re: Anyone using an Email Alias to avoid spam, etc?

Most of the web based email sites like Gmail or Outlook have a black or white list which block or allow certain addresses to appear on your feed. They also actively block spam and scams themselves.

Most spam that I get is from companies I have had dealings with which again is easy to deal with as by law they have to have a "stop" facility.

I personally never use any email address provided by my ISP as they are generally useless at dealing with spam. I am still using a Hotmail (MS now Outlook) address I set up in the days of DOS and have had no trouble with it at all. The big advantage is that they are portable from ISP to ISP, the disadvantage is if you travel, though there are ways of overcoming this.

I am not sure of any advantage to be gained by using a third party to stop spam.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 12:57 AM

I see very little spam nowadays - most is picked up by Gmail automatically and the rest are identified and dealt with by my filters.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 08:59 AM

I get very little spam, it all gets diverted into the bin.

I wouldn't like to use an Alias , for me it can remove a person's credibility and some sites block them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I get very little spam, it all gets diverted into the bin.

I wouldn't like to use an Alias , for me it can remove a person's credibility and some sites block them.
Hi

I use my real name and email address on here and other sites.

I do use my Ex,s Facebook account to buy and sell things.

She took everything else, so feel happy doing that.
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 10:31 AM

A couple of tips

If you have a Gmail account then the Google mail server ignores all the dots in the name so if you have a Gmail of my.name then m.yname and mynam.e etc etc will arrive at your inbox - you can use this as a basic tag to your emails by moving the dot for specific categories

If you get yourself a domain name and email setup from an external provider then you can set up accounts for each provider eg tesco @ mydomain.com - this allows you to filter on incomming addresses and you also know who has "sold on" your email addresses
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 10:31 AM

Yes, I do have a separate email address I use for ordering stuff online. That way if I get tons of emails from them, it doesn't get in the way of the normal emails.

Why do window blind companies think you need to buy a new blind every three days?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 10:39 AM

I use a "dumpster" email account purely for websites I'm not bothered about communicating with. I never visit it and just let the account auto-delete emails unread when sufficient emails have accumulated.

My real email address is very seldom given out.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, I do have a separate email address I use for ordering stuff online. That way if I get tons of emails from them, it doesn't get in the way of the normal emails.

Why do window blind companies think you need to buy a new blind every three days?

It could be a case of the "Blind Leading The Blind", LD?

Tedc
Berkshire, UK

01-10-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I use a "dumpster" email account purely for websites I'm not bothered about communicating with. I never visit it and just let the account auto-delete emails unread when sufficient emails have accumulated.

My real email address is very seldom given out.
I, also, have some of those, Tachyon, but, recently, for the want of something better to do, I collected as many of my ancient email addresses as I could and fed them in to the ivebeenpwned website.

I found that one or two had been compromised and even the old passwords had been touched.

So now, I'm clearing out and looking to get to the point where the email addresses are not "sellable onable"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top