Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 08:22 PM

Natural disasters!

Have you ever experienced a natural disaster like a hurricane, earthquake, blizzard, tsunami or tornado?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 08:30 PM

Re: Natural disasters!

tsunami yes.

I didn't know it till later in the day when it was reported on the TV news.

It was weird ... house shaking, so went to the beach to see the highest tide ever.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
tsunami yes.

I didn't know it till later in the day when it was reported on the TV news.

It was weird ... house shaking, so went to the beach to see the highest tide ever.
Wow! Where was this?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 09:05 PM

Earthquakes - a couple of times - but very mild ones.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

03-11-2020, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Earthquakes - a couple of times - but very mild ones.
Scary stuff
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 09:21 PM

Earthquake Mexico city. Sept 19 1985. 8,5 Richter. Around 10,000 killed. I was working on the outskirts on my first big project but the thing was awful. Because Mex City is built on a sorta swamp within a rock sorta basin the effect was very much worse within the city but bad enough out of the focus zone.

Many ex-pats left the job but goodness knows why a few senior staff and I remained behind in order to get at least a rudimentary telephone service running but for a couple of days sections broke because of ground movements rather than aftershocks.

What we saw I won't go into but around 10000 corpses in a hot climate is something once smelled never forgotten quite apart from people who had literally been burst open by masonry falling on them.

A hell of an introduction to working in horrible places. Had it not been for the money it would have put me off for ever.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Earthquake Mexico city. Sept 19 1985. 8,5 Richter. Around 10,000 killed. I was working on the outskirts on my first big project but the thing was awful. Because Mex City is built on a sorta swamp within a rock sorta basin the effect was very much worse within the city but bad enough out of the focus zone.

Many ex-pats left the job but goodness knows why a few senior staff and I remained behind in order to get at least a rudimentary telephone service running but for a couple of days sections broke because of ground movements rather than aftershocks.

What we saw I won't go into but around 10000 corpses in a hot climate is something once smelled never forgotten quite apart from people who had literally been burst open by masonry falling on them.

A hell of an introduction to working in horrible places. Had it not been for the money it would have put me off for ever.
that sounds so frightening
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

03-11-2020, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

What an experience. I do not wish on anyone. I’m sorry that you experienced that and I am certain it’s not something one wants to remember. Mother Nature is ruthless
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
that sounds so frightening
Only after getting out. At the time it was just a case of pitching in. I was there for just under a fortnight but once on the big clean 737 up to Dallas/Fort Worth the horror kicked in. We were allowed 4 weeks leave because of what we had done. I was back in the office in four days.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2020, 11:57 PM

Two earthquakes. First in Western Australia in 1968 when I was living there. Lots of damage in Perth city but nobody killed - IT was a public holdiday. But it destroyed a whole small town up in the country. Second in Newcastle (Australia) in 1989. I was in Northern Sydney but felt it from there. LOts of damage and injuries in Newcastle. Felt quite a few shudders in San Francisco when I was living there. I never got used to it but the locals hardle even flinched.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top