Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 07:11 AM

F.A.O. Kindle owners.

Was thinking I might invest in a Kindle - not for reading - I still prefer real books for that - but for listening to audiobooks while 'crafting' - had a look on Amazon - and am totally confused!

Prices seem to range from from £49 to £225 - how I am I supposed to know which is best.

Some are described as warm light, front lit, back lit, paper white ... what on earth is that about?

Any advice would be welcome.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 08:49 AM

Re: F.A.O. Kindle owners.

Morning Tabbles, I recently took out a new subscription to the digital Mail, and was given a Kindle Fire 7 as a sweetener. I have always kept a kindle for reading or watching youtube or something in bed when I can't sleep, and this device does pretty much everything I need. I believe it retails at around £49, so if you don't need huge computing power then that's the one I would choose.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Morning Tabbles, I recently took out a new subscription to the digital Mail, and was given a Kindle Fire 7 as a sweetener. I have always kept a kindle for reading or watching youtube or something in bed when I can't sleep, and this device does pretty much everything I need. I believe it retails at around £49, so if you don't need huge computing power then that's the one I would choose.
Sounds good - will go and look. Thank you, Barry.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 09:23 AM

The best (and most reliable) Kindle without doubt was the original with the keyboard, so easy to use but had no back light. I have been using mine almost every day for the past thirteen years.

I have recently bought Mrs LD a Paperwhite and it is great that she can read for hours in bed without having the light on and waking me up, however, she does find the touch screen a bit frustrating. I told her that All touch screens are frustrating,. How long this will last I have no idea but I just had to narrow it down by reading the reviews.

This is the one I went for.

Kindle Paperwhite | Waterproof, 6" High-Resolution Display - Wi-Fi + Free 4G LTE, 32 GB—without special offers—Black

There are two versions - with special offers and without special offers (adverts). If you don't wish to receive lots of adverts, then it's worth paying the extra £10.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 10:55 AM

I can't advise on Kindle as I am still using my Sony eReader but if it is just required for audiobooks isn't there a device specifically for that purpose?

I convert Audiobooks to MP3s to play on CDs in the car as I drive but I also have a tiny Sony MP3 player which can do the same job through ear pieces or via Bluetooth to a Flip4 speaker or noise cancelling headphones.

I do have a thing about Kindles being Amazon specific (though I know there are ways round that).
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I can't advise on Kindle as I am still using my Sony eReader but if it is just required for audiobooks isn't there a device specifically for that purpose?

I convert Audiobooks to MP3s to play on CDs in the car as I drive but I also have a tiny Sony MP3 player which can do the same job through ear pieces or via Bluetooth to a Flip4 speaker or noise cancelling headphones.

I do have a thing about Kindles being Amazon specific (though I know there are ways round that).
I too 'have a thing' about anything that deliberately works in that restrictive way. This article may be of help to anyone wishing to convert files:

https://uk.pcmag.com/ebook-readers/4...-amazon-kindle
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 03:22 PM

If you have a Smartphone, have considered just installing the Audible App?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top