Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 09:26 PM

Re: No space on iCloud.

Question. If I pay the 75pence a month for 50 meg extra on iCloud, does that mean that I get 50 meg every month or am I just getting the one off 50 meg?
All I would need is less than 50 meg to back up my new iPad. So again once I have paid the 75pence, I could cancel any further payments.
Or don’t it work like that?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 09:30 PM

Just buy an iTunes card...I bought a £15 I tunes card from the supermarket, put this on my iPhone to pay for the 0.79p a month, so I should be ok for the next couple of years..
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 08:53 AM

I am not too bothered about giving details of a credit card, that is the one that I use for PayPal. I don’t keep a lot on it.
But that don’t answer my question about what are you paying the 75p a month for?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I am not too bothered about giving details of a credit card, that is the one that I use for PayPal. I don’t keep a lot on it.
But that don’t answer my question about what are you paying the 75p a month for?
There is a lot of information online about iCloud, the two links below should answer most queries. Your query about what you are paying the 75p a month for is answered in that it's for 50GB of storage space on iCloud, there is more available for obviously more cost – United Kingdom:
50GB: £0.79, 200GB: £2.49, 2TB: £6.99.

You can also change and downgrade should you find you are not using all the storage that you are paying for.

There is a lot of reading on these links but they do answer most queries, including how to reduce what is automatically being saved to iCloud and also gives details of other more generous storage facilities. Apple's iCloud seems to be very meagre compared to others so maybe worth having a read and changing to another storage method if that suits you better.

This link explains all about iCloud and the costs and what they are for:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201318?

There are ways of managing the space being used on iCloud, this link is a couple of years' old but probably what is shown will still be current:

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...d-storage.html

This one I found while searching and totally legitimate it seems. The apps involved are on the AppStore so I would guess they are 'safe' as apps on there are checked out by Apple. I haven't tried it so cannot recommend it or do any more than show the YouTube video:

Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

16-10-2020, 02:12 PM

Thanks again Baz for that, I will check them out.
Now the strange thing is, I am not getting the notification to back up the iPad anymore.
Also as I believe I have already said, that the stuff that I have on my iPhone, old iPad, are already backed up on cloud, and most of this has already been downloaded to the new iPad. So why would I need to back up again?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 09:58 AM

Online storage is great... until you haven't got online access for some reason. Use it by all means but don't put all your eggs in one basket. I'd recommend using DVDs, USB Drives or, if you have masses of stuff, an external hard drive.

Not to be morbid, but bear in mind if someone has lots of data stored away and they die, their family might never be able to access the online stuff because they don't know the username/password. They may not even know that the deceased actually used online storage. I know of this happening a couple of times to families I know.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

19-10-2020, 12:13 PM

That’s obviously good advice Tachyon.
I have most of my photos stored on memory cards that came out of my camera. 16 and 32gig. I do this often so that I have all the original photos. I also a short while ago copied loads of the family coloured slides on to 3 memory sticks. One to my daughter, one to my son, and one for me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top