Join for free
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 01:25 PM

Freestyle Libre 2

I'm diabetic and have always tested my blood glucose levels using a finger-prick method with a monitor which takes cassettes of 50 tests. These are supplied at no cost to me by my GP.

Just a few days ago, however, I received an unsolicited email message advertising the Freestyle Libre 2 system.

My first reaction was that this might be a scam, but they offered a free trial sensor which would work for 14 days and could be read at any time, instantly, using an app downloaded to a mobile phone. So I thought I'd try it.

You stick the sensor on the back of your arm and there it remains (or I hope it remains) for 14 days, constantly monitoring glucose levels. I've been in the shower three times since and it's still stuck there!

I have to say that it works very well.

I have been monitoring the readings and comparing them to my usual finger-prick readings. The two are never exactly the same (and they admit that they do vary slightly as the readings are done differently), but they are always close and comparable.

The only thing that puts me off continuing after the free sample is that the sensors cost £58 each!, and that's for 14 days' use, so using it regularly, although very helpful, would soon become unreasonably expensive.

Have a look here, and if anyone else has tried them, I'd be interested to hear your views:
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/lib...saAu81EALw_wcB
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 12:59 AM

Re: Freestyle Libre 2

I'm paranoid about diabetes even though I have never been diagnosed. (there's family history etc). While this seems great it looks cumbersome. I'm guessing that their ideal solution would be to stick a microchip under the skin.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm paranoid about diabetes even though I have never been diagnosed. (there's family history etc). While this seems great it looks cumbersome. I'm guessing that their ideal solution would be to stick a microchip under the skin.
I suppose it needs a small battery to power it, though the microchip on my credit card doesn't.

No, no cumbersome at all; just too expensive!
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 11:27 AM

I saw Theresa May wearing one - wondered what it was.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-04-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
I saw Theresa May wearing one - wondered what it was.
Ah yes. She's Type 1, so perhaps it's more important that she uses one.

And I'm sure that she can afford it. I can't!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top