Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Olympics - What A Shambles

Only Britain could get in this mess. Not only have they not sold all the tickets I now hear 4000 or so tickets have been returned from abroad somewhere that are no longer wanted.
The lack of security and organisation is being broadcast all over the news, which is just great for any terrorists.
Where some of the countries are practising here they only have 15 instead of 50 security staff apparently.
Even the torch, wasn't THE torch every runner got their own one and most of the torch's journey was done by coach and only run through towns.
They have had years to prepare for this and still can't do it right.
My cousin who came over from Austraila recently was gobsmacked that there was no sign of any customs or security at the airport. Nobody on her flight saw anyone they just walked straight through with not a customs officer in sight to check anything. As she said they could have been bringing anything into the country but nobody seemed to care. She said you would never get into Austrilia at anytime without everything being thouroughly checked.
This country is a total shambles.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 09:17 AM

Re: Olympics - What A Shambles

I find it hard to disagree with you Bev. As a nation we used to be admired and respected throughout the world, but now we are a laughing stock in so many different ways that I am sometimes ashamed to say I'm English.

The greater problem is that I can't see things changing for the better anytime soon..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by madmare ->
Only Britain could get in this mess. Not only have they not sold all the tickets I now hear 4000 or so tickets have been returned from abroad somewhere that are no longer wanted.
The lack of security and organisation is being broadcast all over the news, which is just great for any terrorists.
Where some of the countries are practising here they only have 15 instead of 50 security staff apparently.
Even the torch, wasn't THE torch every runner got their own one and most of the torch's journey was done by coach and only run through towns.
They have had years to prepare for this and still can't do it right.
My cousin who came over from Austraila recently was gobsmacked that there was no sign of any customs or security at the airport. Nobody on her flight saw anyone they just walked straight through with not a customs officer in sight to check anything. As she said they could have been bringing anything into the country but nobody seemed to care. She said you would never get into Austrilia at anytime without everything being thouroughly checked.
This country is a total shambles.
I agree Bev it has turned into a shambles. Far too much emphasis seems to have been put on protecting the interests of corporate sponsors rather than important things like security.

I understand the 'Brand Police'are busy checking that business are not infringing the rights of the advertisers..
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-7945436.html
...and they were saying on the radio the other day that if you have a business you will not be allowed to promote it for a period of time using various combinations of words which including the following..
The Olympic Symbol (the five interlocking rings)
The Olympic Motto (Citius Altius Fortius' / 'Faster Higher Stronger'
Olympic (s)
Olympiad (s)
Olympian (s)
The Paralympic Symbol (the three 'agitos')
The Paralympic Motto ('Spirit in Motion')
Paralympic (s)
Paralympiad (s)
Paralympian (s)
London
Games
Summer
Two thousand and twelve
Twenty Twelve
Medals
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Sponsors
I did wonder if it was April 1st...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 04:25 PM

My Friend who lives in London is hating all the disrupuion, this is what she wrote......Lots of strange people milling around here. "games lanes" on the motorway that you can't drive on and if you do, it's a fine of £130!!!! No parking on my street and so on. When **** comes home, I'm outa here.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
My Friend who lives in London is hating all the disrupuion, this is what she wrote......Lots of strange people milling around here. "games lanes" on the motorway that you can't drive on and if you do, it's a fine of £130!!!! No parking on my street and so on. When **** comes home, I'm outa here.
Its not good Rox and I am dreading my travelling to work during the games. Will work from home some days but will also have to make it in. A nitemare is what it is and I can't wait for it to all be over.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 07:28 PM

...and they were saying on the radio the other day that if you have a business you will not be allowed to promote it for a period of time using various combinations of words which including the following..
The Olympic Symbol (the five interlocking rings)
The Olympic Motto (Citius Altius Fortius' / 'Faster Higher Stronger'
Olympic (s)
Olympiad (s)
Olympian (s)
The Paralympic Symbol (the three 'agitos')
The Paralympic Motto ('Spirit in Motion')
Paralympic (s)
Paralympiad (s)
Paralympian (s)
London
Games
Summer
Two thousand and twelve
Twenty Twelve
Medals
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Sponsors
I did wonder if it was April 1st...

Would something like this sample be barred then Meg?

My business is making jewellery, I will not be using the OLYMPIC SYMBOL or the OLYMPIC MOTTO in any of my works, I intend to make TWENTY TWELVE worst Summer ever memorial MEDALS in GOLD and SILVER and perhaps some in BRONZE. I intend to sell my goods to retailers and I dont need any SPONSORS. My Brother in LONDON will be first to receive one to remind him of the GAMES we played as kids.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jem
my business is making jewellery, I will not be using the OLYMPIC SYMBOL or the OLYMPIC MOTTO in any of my works, I intend to make TWENTY TWELVE worst Summer ever memorial MEDALS in GOLD and SILVER and perhaps some in BRONZE. I intend to sell my goods to retailers and I dont need any SPONSORS. My Brother in LONDON will be first to receive one to remind him of the GAMES we played as kids.
Jem as you are in the south of Ireland I guess you are free of the idiocy which governs the rest of us UK citizens
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 08:01 PM

We are going make our home a Games free zone during the Olympics. There is not one aspect of this exhibition that either interests or excites us, so we do not intend to listen to or watch any news or bulletin for around six weeks, and will instead read, listen to music, and enjoy the countryside with our dogs until this ridiculous spectacle is at an end, and that can't come soon enough....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 08:57 AM

Don't worry these things tend to sort themselves out on the day. I am sure the London Olympics will be the second best Olympics ever.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
We are going make our home a Games free zone during the Olympics. There is not one aspect of this exhibition that either interests or excites us, so we do not intend to listen to or watch any news or bulletin for around six weeks, and will instead read, listen to music, and enjoy the countryside with our dogs until this ridiculous spectacle is at an end, and that can't come soon enough....
Same here Barry, I had to delay my routine summer trip to England to avoid all the disruption that is happening around London and elsewhere, that's annoyed me enough without having to sit in front of the box and endure all the silly remarks of the sports commentators

I expect our two dogs will be getting more 'walkies' these comming weeks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top