Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Re: Olympic Opening.

Superbly done by all accounts, my congratulations go to all concerned, but now roll on the closing ceremony....
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Well done to all the volunteers who took part, a good show, but I felt it was a bit late in the evening for kids to watch.
For anybody interested in any of the sports, the Radio Times as done a 16 page pull out of all the events, so you can select the sport you like.
I am watching the table tennis now.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 11:01 AM

I kept watching until Paul McCartney started to "wail" and then turned off, but it must have been very nearly over by then.
After being sceptical about the fuss and expense when we are in recession I have revised my feelings. I thought the opening ceremony was marvellous, especially the lighting of the cauldron and it's incredible design which incorporated a petal and flame for each of the 200+ competing countries. Quite unique. Call me a lemming, but I was carried along by the moment and the enthusiasm of everyone there. My daughter rang me up to make sure I was watching.
I hadn't realised that London has now held the games three times since they began. Well done GB and I hope these games continue as they have started off. Maybe we need something at this time to make us feel good about our country.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 11:18 AM

I watched the first part before the athletes came on and thought it was fantastic. So different particularly the country/industrial revolution part. I knew it would take ages for all the countries athletes to appear and past my bedtime so switched off then but have of course seen the repeats on the news this morning. A great start to the games and nice to see a lot of ordinary people taking part and children too which will be with them for ever in their memories.

Well done Britain
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 12:09 PM

I must admit that I really enjoyed the majority of the ceremony and at times like this it does make one feel patriotic, nice to see so many people smiling for a change, enough miserable faces in a normal day so a pleasant atmosphere was most welcome. A big well done and thank you to all concerned.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 12:47 PM

If you haven't already done so, you must watch the last 20 mins or so when they light the cauldron..........marvellous !
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 01:48 PM

I was not going to watch, but OH put it on the TV. We were both surprised how good it all was. I agree Alan the Lightening of the cauldrons, by our young athletes was Marvellous.
Same we had to listen to Paul McCartney's. Sorry but why do they keep fetching him out. He is over the hill like the Stones.

Watching the cycling at the moment, fingers crossed for the lads.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

28-07-2012, 01:52 PM

I missed the beginning but the ending and the lighting of the cauldrons made up for that.............it was absolutely amazing.
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Amazing spectacle ,made me proud to be British .Whether it will be cost effective or not the pride on those athletes faces was a joy to behold .Hope their dedication and loyalty pays off .Well done to them getting this far anyway .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 03:12 PM

I'm with Mollie on this one - so much money wasted on a spectacle. I watched some of it and it just didn't do it for me. Yes, the cauldron was spectacular, but why do we need all this expense? There was a time when the opening ceremony was about the athletes and the games and I wish that were still the case. Now, though, every four years the hosting country is desperately trying to outdo the previous ceremony. They seem to forget that this is primarily a sports event.
Just my Bah Humbug 2p worth...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top