Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Re: Olympic Opening.

I really only intended to drop in on a little of the opening ceremony but ended up watching most of it.

For the most part it was enjoyable but I spectacularly failed to grasp the reasoning behind the contribution by Rowan Atkinson. I find he has the appeal of a mollusc in a coma.

However, I found solace later on when Artistic Director Danny Boyle and his team seemed to pay tribute to my clubs standing in the East End by a short but beautifully crafted and wonderfully honoured rendition of our anthem 'Bubbles'. It had me wondering if it would be heard in this stadium again.

All the better for me to hear it when it coincided with us achieving Elite Player Performance Plan category one status (EPPP) for our Academy which will be another boost for youth and the local area.

Perhaps honour was satisfied by the Beckham brand and Steve Redgrave both being involved in the flame igniting sequence. Rather eerie not to see the Adidas logo or a VB handbag feature somewhere in that little segment.

I did find the appearance of Mohammed Ali poignant but very sad indeed and I was left wondering if he really wanted to be there.

As already said, the closing 'act' of McCartney was a travesty both musically and any which way really. A blot on an otherwise commendable opening of the games, only the inclusion of one Cliff Richard could have been worse.

I can only think that Mr Boyle was forced by outside pressures to provide at least one charitable abberation and this was it. The bloke cannot sing and never has been able to.

Worse yet, some wag has said he is to close the games and if it rains, well there is always the duet with Cliff to fall off of.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I'm with Mollie on this one - so much money wasted on a spectacle. I watched some of it and it just didn't do it for me. Yes, the cauldron was spectacular, but why do we need all this expense? There was a time when the opening ceremony was about the athletes and the games and I wish that were still the case. Now, though, every four years the hosting country is desperately trying to outdo the previous ceremony. They seem to forget that this is primarily a sports event.
Just my Bah Humbug 2p worth...

that makes three of us then
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kitty ->
that makes three of us then
Nothing wrong with a bit of Bah Humbug, so four of us then....
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
... Rowan Atkinson. I find he has the appeal of a mollusc in a coma.
I admit to being a Mr. Bean fan, but this comment made me laugh out loud.

I haven't caught any of the televised games yet but will look for a re-run of the opening as I've heard the cauldron was effective. I have mixed feelings... on one hand I do think it's all too extravagant, yet the Games can also lift the spirits, re-kindle national pride, bring positive energy. I expect I will be watching over the course of the events.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 06:59 PM

I wasnt going to watch either but did start too but there was too much flashing lights so had to leave it, listened to it in bed though.Its very clever how it all falls into place.Congratulations to all concerned.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 07:38 PM

I am not a 'sporty person' but I have just finished watching a recording of the opening ceremony and found it impressive .
It didn't seek to be full of pomposity, instead taking some of the words from 'Jerusalem' as a starting point it portrayed many of the things for which Britain is famous.

Yes, the event cost a lot of money and some would say the money could be better spent, but money isn't everything.
Some things transcend money for example having the determination to succeed and striving for perfection, attributes we see in the men and women taking part in the Olympic Games . These are also things they have in common with people like Brunel and others who featured in the opening ceremony which tied it all neatly together for me.

I wish all the athletes success in the games and I hope they prove to be an inspiration for the young who could do a lot worse then spend their time taking part in sport.
Then the whole thing will have been money well spent .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I wish all the athletes success in the games and I hope they prove to be an inspiration for the young who could do a lot worse then spend their time taking part in sport.
Then the whole thing will have been money well spent .
You are not wrong there Meg, it seems quite a good career choice now that everyone seems to get paid. At one time sport was done for the pleasure and the personal pride, now it's done for money...whether that's a good or a bad thing though is a matter of debate, personally I think money has destroyed the Olympic ideal.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2012, 07:49 PM

For the most part it was enjoyable but I spectacularly failed to grasp the reasoning behind the contribution by Rowan Atkinson. I find he has the appeal of a mollusc in a coma

George, you're so right. It was cringeworthy stuff, all the more bizarre because of the serious music that was being played, conducted by Simon Rattle. Surely he must have been annoyed. There was no need for Mohammed Ali to be there, for one horrible moment I thought they were going to ask him to light the flame. I've referred to Mr MacCartney in other thread, suffice to say he went down like a lead balloon. On a jockular note, if you have trouble getting a hospital bed, there's stacks down the Olympic Stadium!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Seems I'm the only one who has stuck to their principles, not seen any of the olympics (including the opening ceremony), have no interest in this very expensive propaganda exercise and don't give a stuff whether the athletes win a clutch of medals or not.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Seems I'm the only one who has stuck to their principles, not seen any of the olympics (including the opening ceremony), have no interest in this very expensive propaganda exercise and don't give a stuff whether the athletes win a clutch of medals or not.
No Geoff, we are still an Olympic free zone here. Hubby just refuses to watch. Adverts are put on mute - just in case -
(whisper...I'd like to watch the badminton, we all played as a family...)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top