Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Re: Call To End Right To Buy.

I remember the first house we bought,a two bedroom Bungalow, we had no carpets on the floors, washed by hand and it was a long week, waiting for the wages. But we got by.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2012, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I understand council rents are high but of course if people dont work they claim housing benefits and also get the council tax paid.That seems to be the thing nowadays leave school get preganant get free housing and Bobs your Uncle.
That's one thing I don't agree with. There's no need whatsoever to land in the Family Way these Days. I don't think the Councils should be obliged to house a young Lass just because she has a Baby.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 01:41 AM

My story is a little bit different but, in principle, where there are council housing shortages, I agree with most of what's been said.

Back in 1983 my husband had just finished his 25 years in the Army so we moved back to England to stay with mum who lived alone in this house following the death of my dad a few years previously, with the intention of buying our own house.

However, she was terrified that the council would move her out of this family sized house so my then husband and I decided to buy the property, to give her peace of mind and a home for ourselves. She wasn't in the best of health, and she was very afraid of being moved to an area where she knew no one as we'd moved here as a family in 1966, so we bought the property.

Right or wrong, it was done with the best of intentions.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 07:58 AM

I think as a general rule it should be buy or rent a home first and then have your children but sadly it is all too often the other way round and then people expect the council to house them - why ?? You didn't have to have those kids, it was your choice so get on with it thats what I say. The current system is grossly unfair to those who either don't want children at all or prefer to wait until they are in a better financial position. Do the wrong thing and you get help, do the right thing you don't and thats what makes it unacceptable. At the other end of the scale its wrong as well. When my parents had to sell their house to go into an old peoples home they had to pay £800 a week but in the same home there were those that didn't have assets so they got exactly the same care and didn't pay a penny. So you have kids you can't afford, get a council house for life and then get given care when you are elderly for free as well. People who try and do the right thing are penalised and thats why the whole system is pants !
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I quite agree.
Council housing ... and let's be blunt ... which is subsidized housing, should be reserved for peeps who are down on their luck, hit a rough patch ... need a roof over their head. Once they get on their feet they should vacate the property and move on.

We might all qualify as needy if we are ever unfortunate enough to lose our job or hit hard times.
Never mind not selling them, I believe a lot of people living in them now at reduced rent rates are enjoying a higher standard of living than the average homeowner or person paying private sector rent rates.
The system has already been abused for years.
My sister and her partner (with no kids) and earning 50 grand a year are hogging a three bedroom property.
and where are people like me suppose to move on to....my husband died 3yrs ago and ive been trying to downsize!!! theres no where for me top downsize to...the majority of homes originally built for the over 60s are now housing young families because theres no where else to put them and i for one at my age do not want to move into that enviroment...i dont want sheltered as im far to young so here i am despite writing to local concellors and parliment stuck in a large 3bed family home i dont need and dont want...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 10:11 AM

Is there not an Exchange List in your Local Council Offices Dollie? There must be lots of Couples in a Two Bedroom with a Family that need more room you could Change with. You have the Upper Hand with the 3 Bedroom Home and if you Advertised on the List I'm sure you'd get a lot of Response.......then you could chose what you thought would be the best Area for Youself. Don't even have to stay in the same Town, maybe move out a bit........Just a Thought.
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 11:52 AM

no i dont have an upper hand roxy it is far from easy trying to downsize.....there is a system in place re housing and you have to go through that..ive been on the exchange list for nearly three years ive also advertised on several sites to no avail... as i said previously i do not want to move into a block of flats that have young families and kids and thats what its like in this area there is nothing in this area to move into....i wont go outside the area as im central to everything here...
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

31-07-2012, 01:02 PM

Its the same round here dollie............there's nothing to move into because the council has sold so many of them.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

31-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by dollie ->
no i dont have an upper hand roxy it is far from easy trying to downsize.....there is a system in place re housing and you have to go through that..ive been on the exchange list for nearly three years ive also advertised on several sites to no avail... as i said previously i do not want to move into a block of flats that have young families and kids and thats what its like in this area there is nothing in this area to move into....i wont go outside the area as im central to everything here...
As I said....It was just a Thought.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

31-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
When my parents had to sell their house to go into an old peoples home they had to pay £800 a week but in the same home there were those that didn't have assets so they got exactly the same care and didn't pay a penny. !
So what would you recommend for elderly people in need of care who do not have the luxury of a stable financial background? Opening up the workhouses perhaps.
I'm sorry dog lover but you seem to have a bit of a narrow minded view of this situation. I agree with some of what you're saying and there is obviously something very wrong with the system when its so easily abused......but what you don't seem to consider here, is that there are a lot of people like me and probably dollie who have done everything in the right order - as someone so nicely put it - and still didn't end up able to buy. We've still worked, payed our contributions and as such are entitled to a bit of help when we reach the end of our lives. Or do you have any other suggestions as to what should happen to all these undesirable old people who have no money to pay for private care.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top