Join for free
Page 12 of 20 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 01:39 PM

Re: A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I've got the very best reason in the world for not having a smart meter installed. Seriously.

I don't bloody want one.

End of.
Sounds like King Canute!

Trouble is, when the Owners of the supplying services own the majority, they can put you in a "take it or leave it" situation.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Apologies I've edited my post as I have found some more details of how power companies have been abusing the functionality of smartmeters.
No apology required.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 01:43 PM

Legislation can change. Plus that doesn't address hacking risks.
Hacking risks have long existed.
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 11:26 PM

I do not have the following:
a) a smart mobile phone
b) an internet bank account
c) a internet electricity or gas account
So what benefit would a smart meter be to me
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by David P ->
I do not have the following:
a) a smart mobile phone
b) an internet bank account
c) a internet electricity or gas account
So what benefit would a smart meter be to me

A smart meter has absolutely nothing to do with any of the things you list.

If you install solar panels on your roof you will need a smart meter because otherwise you will also be paying for the surplus electricity that you generate as the standard meter can't tell which direction the power is flowing.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
A smart meter has absolutely nothing to do with any of the things you list.

If you install solar panels on your roof you will need a smart meter because otherwise you will also be paying for the surplus electricity that you generate as the standard meter can't tell which direction the power is flowing.
How did that work for people who had solar panels before smart meters were around?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 05:09 AM

How did that work for people who had solar panels before smart meters were around?
They got no feed in tariff I presume. The electricity companies would have been laughing. The Federal government here had to pass a law stopping electricity suppliers going slow on supplying smart meters.

The electricity suppliers now want to be able to use smart meters to turn off solar panels because there is too much power available during the day.

It is currently recommended that installers point the panels toward the east or the west so maximum input is in the morning or the evening when there is extra demand. Previously they tried to point the panels toward the north for the midday sun.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 07:07 AM

If I had to pay for Solar Panels, I would make sure there was no feed in capability in the first place!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 02:39 PM

If you want a REAL reason for not having a smart meter installed, read this rather frightening article in today's Daily Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bi...pensation.html

The headline reads: "Government mulls emergency measures that would see smart meters used to SWITCH OFF your electricity without warning or compensation" which I find very scary and straight out of George Orwell's 1984.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

17-09-2020, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
If you want a REAL reason for not having a smart meter installed, read this rather frightening article in today's Daily Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bi...pensation.html

The headline reads: "Government mulls emergency measures that would see smart meters used to SWITCH OFF your electricity without warning or compensation" which I find very scary and straight out of George Orwell's 1984.
Let's see actually happens.

Page 12 of 20 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top