Join for free
Page 6 of 44 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 10:52 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Second wave of Covid-19 coming to UK, says PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I don't see the point of curfews, people will just go out earlier and drink more.
I agree to that, they will.

Tesco this evening was fully stocked, no empty shelves & lots of loo paper.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 12:03 AM

I guess some people have a year's supply of loo paper in the attic....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 12:51 AM

Covid: UK coronavirus alert level moving to 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54241580

The UK's coronavirus alert level is being upgraded from 3 to 4, meaning transmission is "high or rising exponentially", its chief medical officers have said.

The alert level, which is recommended by the Joint Biosecurity Centre, was reduced from level 4 to 3 on 19 June - which indicated the virus was "in general circulation" but there could be a "gradual relaxation of restrictions".
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 12:54 AM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54234084

At their downing Street presentation, Prof Whitty and Sir Patrick also said:

• The rising case numbers cannot be blamed on an increase in testing as there is also an "increase in positivity of the tests done"
  • Around 70,000 people in the UK are estimated to currently have the disease - and about 6,000 per day are catching it (based on an ONS study)
  • Less than 8% of the population has been infected to date, although the figure could be as high as 17% in London
  • Even though different parts of the UK are seeing cases rising at different rates, and some age groups are affected more than others, the evolving situation has to be seen as a problem for everyone without exception
  • Evidence from other countries shows infections are "not staying just in the younger age groups" but are "moving up the age bands"
  • The rising transmission is a serious "six-month problem that we have to deal with collectively" - but science will eventually "ride to our rescue"
  • The virus is not milder now than in April, despite claims to the contrary
  • It is possible "that some vaccine could be available before the end of the year in small amounts for certain groups" but "the first half of next year" is much more likely
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Ha! I bought a pack of 24 when I got my first delivery slot back in April or May I think it was. I still have it! Just been buying small packs since to "top up". They ain't catching me out with that one again!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 08:40 AM

Of course the second wave is coming. Why would it not with the way a great many people are behaving? Crowded shopping malls with only a few wearing masks. Busy town centres with few wearing masks probably because we were told it's safer to be outside. My local pub has been so overcrowded lately due to the weather. Most customers are in the pub garden sitting around small tables but still yelling loudly to be heard above the next table yelling loudly. How could we ever have avoided the second wave coming?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm inclined to think much the same as you Caricature.

We've had lockdowns, 'social bubbles', social distancing, masks, sanitizers, kids off school, businesses closing, and yet this killer virus still seems to be romping along.

And what's the point in pubs having to shut at 10 pm for Christ's sake? What difference will that make?
Do they think the virus only comes out after 10 o/clock, so shutting the doors before that will be safe?

And why are the hunters and shooters still allowed to lurk about in groups of 30 people?

I heard today that we can carry it for 5 days before it might show any symptoms.
So even if everyone in the country were tested, it still only shows up if the virus is active at the moment of giving the sample.
And what about those that are pronounced 'Clear'? Having good test results won't stop that person catching it the following day/week/month will it.

I have a real feeling of doom about this now, and I hadn't felt like that until today. I find this very worrying now.
I have just this minute asked Mr M the same question about pub closing at 10 Mups .
He says that ( the government thinks ) that after 10 people will already have had quiet a lot to drink and will start to forget about taking precautions.
Social drinkers as opposed to binge drunkards have usually gone home by 10.00 p.m anyway,
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Certainly the panic buyers! They'll have bought trolley-fulls, got home and found nowhere to put them all.
Then, not being the brightest of God's creations, will have forgotten all about them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

22-09-2020, 01:26 PM

UK coronavirus live: Boris Johnson says new restrictions 'likely to remain in force for six months'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...dates-politics

What Johnson said about the new rules

First, we are once again asking office workers who can work from home to do so. In key public services and in all professions where home working is not possible, such as construction or retail, people should continue to attend their workplaces.

Second, from Thursday, all pubs, bars and restaurants must operate a table service only, except for takeaways. Together with all hospitality venues, they must close at 10pm.

And to help the police enforce this rule that means, alas, closing not just calling for last orders, because simplicity is paramount.

Third, we will extend the requirement to wear face coverings to include staff in retail, all users of taxis and private hire vehicles and staff and customers in indoor hospitality, except when seated at a table to eat or drink.

Fourth, in retail, leisure and tourism and other sectors, our Covid-secure guidelines will become legal obligations.

Fifth, now is the time to tighten up the rule of six. I’m afraid that from Monday a maximum of 15 people will be able to attend wedding ceremonies and receptions, though up to 30 can still attend a funeral, as now.

We will also have to extend the rule of six to all adult indoor team sports.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 01:33 PM

Watched that at lunchtime today.

Boris Johnson will be addressing the nation tonight on BBC 1 at 8.00pm.

Page 6 of 44 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top