Join for free
Page 19 of 51 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 > Last »
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 10:08 PM

Re: Extinction the facts

It makes the extinction rebellion rent a mob action quite pointless doesn’t it..no chance of them demonstrating in Peking I suspect
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by vlad ->
it makes the extinction rebellion rent a mob action quite pointless doesn’t it..no chance of them demonstrating in peking i suspect
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
It makes the extinction rebellion rent a mob action quite pointless doesn’t it..no chance of them demonstrating in Peking I suspect
The demand for goods & resources from China (and elsewhere) is driven by Western demand. That is why they protest here.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The demand for goods & resources from China (and elsewhere) is driven by Western demand. That is why they protest here.
Oh? Nothing to do with them being banged away for life in China - if they're lucky?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh? Nothing to do with them being banged away for life in China - if they're lucky?

They don't need to protest in China. Although domestic demand there has increased, it's simply nothing compared with our greed for "stuff". If the demand goes so does the production. Although tbh the pandemic has achieved more than XR ever dreamed possible. Surprised there's no suspicion there!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
A fallacious argument .
Because they don’t protest in China we should not protest here?
People do protest in China
And sometimes they die fo it.
We who have free speech must speak for those who cannot.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
A fallacious argument .
Because they don’t protest in China we should not protest here?
People do protest in China
And sometimes they die fo it.

We who have free speech must speak for those who cannot.
Such a waste of their life Muddy, when they could be doing something that they enjoy, spending time with people who they care about, and who care about them. I believe that protesters don't have the capacity for a hobby, or the ability to succeed in a career. They appear to be obsessed with the world around them and would rather pursue an endless road to nowhere, being angry at the people who gave them the means to do what they do.

I'm not talking about the naturalists and biologists who study and document the world around us, and are passionate about their chosen profession, but the plangton you see in Trafalgar Square and other places where they cause the maximum disruption to the people who do have a career and probably care more about their environment than the protesters. Well it beats getting a job!

When does free speech become anarchy? Just because you have the right to freedom of speech doesn't mean you can talk sh$te in public.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Such a waste of their life Muddy, when they could be doing something that they enjoy, spending time with people who they care about, and who care about them. I believe that protesters don't have the capacity for a hobby, or the ability to succeed in a career.
That a generalisation of some magnitude OGF
So IYO protesters ( of all sorts for whatever reason ) don’t have the capacity for a Hobby or to be able to succeed in a career ?

That’s Ghandi out for a start!
Although in fact he was a qualified lawyer and had a career as such in his early life

How about Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement ?

Nelson Mandela - also a practicing lawyer in his younger years .

There is an entire sector of Extinction Rebellion that comprises of medical doctors .

They are concerned about the medical effects of climate change .
They are all practicing physicians .

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-12/...-air-pollution

They appear to be obsessed with the world around them and would rather pursue an endless road to nowhere, being angry at the people who gave them the means to do what they do.
I don’t think you can be referring to people who are protesting about climate change . These people are protesting about the future that is being taken away from their grandchildren .
In China people are protesting ( and being subdued ) because they cannot live in some parts Of urban areas because of the pollution .

I'm not talking about the naturalists and biologists who study and document the world around us, and are passionate about their chosen profession, but the plangton you see in Trafalgar Square and other places where they cause the maximum disruption to the people who do have a career and probably care more about their environment than the protesters. Well it beats getting a job!
In the case of protesters about climate change what proof do you have that they are not naturalists or biologists ?
How do you know they are not taking a day off from their jobs?
Trafagar square is the traditional place to make a protest in this country . It is near to the seat of government . The government cannot ignore it .

The government needs to act on climate and in order to get them to do this it needs massive, sustained media attention.
None violent civil disobedience is the answer - it works
Disruption makes people pay attention especially if it impacts on their lives .

We can’t all run away and indulge in our favourite hobby and pretend it’s not going to happen to us .

Because it is ,but it is the next generations who will suffer most .
We are killing the planet they have to live on.

The right of freedom of Speech means just that .

No ifs or buts

Climate change is a fact and it’s being accelerated by human activity and everyone needs to know this and they need to know now .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 11:56 AM

This heated debate reminds me of my thoughts of this song about an idealistic world where everybody could be content.
I wonder what the person singing it would think, if he was alive today & read our posts?

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=rA...MVMrAn-AWXtHv0
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

23-09-2020, 12:06 PM

Lovely song Art always makes me cry

If he were alive today he would be on my side.

Like this man .( Brian May )

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/que...limate-change/

Page 19 of 51 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top