Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 03:11 PM

Re: DIY Skills

I'm pretty handy at most things, having spent most of my working life in construction, but my Achilles heels are plastering and electrics which, if anything other than an absolute necessity, I invariably leave to the experts!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Tightening your nuts?
I reckon that unless your nuts are well secured, your screws could become loose
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 03:52 PM

Before you consider any kind of filling-in, what about planting some spring bulbs for a small but pleasant display after what could be a cold winter
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I reckon that unless your nuts are well secured, your screws could become loose
I reckon that, if your a bloke, if you don't check your nuts regularly, you're a right spanner.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Before you consider any kind of filling-in, what about planting some spring bulbs for a small but pleasant display after what could be a cold winter
an idea did think of as well, just got to go to garden centre to measure up a trough first that is slim . Same as we've strawberry plants in
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2020, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Nothing like the best tools for the job............

Is it AF - Metric - BSP or Whitworth Besoeker....?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 10:18 AM

I think that family passing on of DIY skills should be as important as Potty training or learning to read & write.

The youngsters should be involved in every task.

I know people who are happy even though they have to get someone in to change a plug fuse!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm pretty handy at most things, having spent most of my working life in construction, but my Achilles heels are plastering and electrics which, if anything other than an absolute necessity, I invariably leave to the experts!
I'm not much good at plastering either. I have had a go and can get it to a reasonable finish for tiling over or perhaps in a cupboard but I take my hat off to the experts. The plasterer I used to give work to was an absolute genius.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 09:59 PM

I'm happy to try my hand at some things, though I'm not an expert at anything.

Electrical work - to an extent, probably limited to simple connections and fittings, etc.
Building - I did once build a lean-to garage which is still standing and looks reasonably straight!
Woodwork - I put together a set of bookshelves filling the whole side of a room and a couple of cabinets. Certainly not professional carpentry, though.
Roofing - I have replaced our guttering, but that's about it (and admittedly we are in a bungalow - I'm afraid of heights).
Gardening - Marge's department.
Plumbing - not a chance, though I once replaced a washer!
Painting - hate it. If I really have to do it, Marge has to do the edges.
Plastering - What's that?

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top