Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 05:34 PM

Rocker - Mod or church mouse

Which were you.

A rocker with leather greasy jacket and a big throbbing engine between your legs

A Mod on a silly two wheels scooter with loads of lights on the front because they didn't see well in the dark

Church mouse dressed in a white cloth singing you heart out and wishing you were one of the above

Me? you would usually find me at the "Ace of Spades" coffee bar at Tolworth or the "Toast Rack" coffee bar in Sutton Sy

The Orchid ballroom in Purley was the place to go for a good night out had to wear suit and tie or stopped at the door

Top band played there. No longer any of the above are still there
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 06:04 PM

Re: Rocker - Mod or church mouse

Before my time.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Before my time.
Me too although I did enjoy the Mod revival in the late seventies, early eighties. I didn't have a Vespa or a Lambretta but I enjoyed the music and the fashion.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 06:25 PM

you don't know what you missed, at least the Teddy boy and Teddy girl era had gone (late1950s). See them walking down a high street swinging bike chains, believe me you kept well clear
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
you don't know what you missed, at least the Teddy boy and Teddy girl era had gone (late1950s). See them walking down a high street swinging bike chains, believe me you kept well clear
I have heard the stories. My Dad was a Teddy Boy and I know they used to carry razor blades with tape wrapped around them so that when they 'cut' a rival, it didn't cut too deep. They were kind like that.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 07:04 PM

I was a rocker, well I did have a boy friend with a motor bike, but we didn't go to Brighton.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 07:47 PM

Greaser here. Rockers were too much just the antithesis of Mods, Greasers didn't give a toss about fashion, we were just into our bikes. American Greasers were very different from UK, or at least Manchester Greasers.

We picked up the label because we mostly had clapped out bikes and often had more oil and grease on - well everywhere - whereas the American Greasers were Latino's who slicked their dark hair down with hair stuff.

Great days! Mods with their Vespas and Lambrettas? Poofs! Rockers with their cafe Racers? Snob wanna be Greasers but lacking the scum factor that we had!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 08:04 PM

Pot-smoking, cider-drinking hippy fashionista ...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 10:32 PM

I was a bit of a hippy I suppose - granny print frocks, crochet shawls, beads and flowers in my hair. Never indulged in the pot smoking or free love though - didn't see the point.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 01:19 PM

I was a Mod in the 1960’s and in those days, fashion was very important to me. Most of my clothes were bought from boutiques or l would tell the boutique owner what l would like and they would order or get them from London. I was called the ‘Queen of the Mods’, locally!

Famous names from that era were Twiggy, Mary Quant, Jean Shrimpton, Barbara Hulanicki (Biba) Vidal Sassoon plus many more.

I didn’t like scooters but preferred motorbikes... Vincent’s, Velocetti, BSA Goldies, Triumph Bonnevilles, Francis Barnett but l didn’t like the greasy rockers. They were usually ‘hardcases’... Sorry TAT!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top