Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 04:10 PM

Re: School Holidays.

yes Swimmy it must be very difficult for mothers with kids at different schools, I totally agree, they should standardise and don't really know why they don't
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 05:27 PM

Re: School Holidays.

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Maybe they will shorten them, Swimmy...to make up for lost learning during lockdown?
Teachers are contracted for 1265 hours pa. I won't go into how, in reality, this isn't really sufficient time for classroom teachers to actually do what they do to avoid the usual (misinformed) comments.

This equates to 190 contact days (38 weeks) with a further 5 training days pa.

If you wish teachers to work for a greater number of hours/days, then their pay should be increased proportionately. I doubt that this would be on offer and, coupled with the usual derisory pay offers, would be viewed with natural scepticism by teachers and their professional associations.

Someone on here also advocates 11 week terms. Nice in theory, but not realistic in reality.

However, 6 week contact blocks with either 1 or 2 weeks break and a couple of 7 week contact blocks to make the 38 provision, with an extended 4 week break in summer to allow for public examinations results to be processed and hence time for post 16 as well as university placements to be administered would work. Obviously some minor alterations would need to be in situ to account for bank holidays to ensure that 190 contact days ensue.

This could be readily set up as a fixed date and standardised way of doing things, but would mean that every so often the moon-orentated Easter holiday breaks would be omitted.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top