Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:16 AM

Coronavirus: Risk in UK lockdown easing too soon, warn scientists

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52858392

Prof Edmunds, from the London School of Tropical Hygiene and Medicine and a member of SAGE (Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies), said the levels of coronavirus were still "very high" and many scientists would rather the number of cases declined before measures were relaxed.

Estimates by the Office for National Statistics suggest there are currently 8,000 new cases per day in England alone. Those figures do not include cases in care homes or hospitals.

Sir Jeremy Farrar, director of the Wellcome Trust and a member of SAGE, said on Twitter that Covid-19 is "spreading too fast to lift lockdown in England" and NHS test and trace "has to be fully working and infection rates have to be lower".

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Prof Peter Horby, who sits on SAGE and chairs its NERVTAG subcommittee, agreed, saying the R number was still close to one and it was important we "don't lose control".

"What I would say is that returning to a situation where we lost control again is far worse than another week or two of social measures," he said.
A fourth SAGE member, Prof Calum Semple, said a "brave" political decision had been made to coincide with when schools were due to reoopen "were everything normal", but warned that high levels of transmission were still being seen.

SAGE documents warned there would be "little time" to reimpose stricter lockdown measures if the infection rate started to creep up again.
I won't be surprised if there's a "second wave" of infections in the near future - so many people are disregarding "safety" advice to take advantage of the good weather while they're not working that increased transmission of the virus is inevitable .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Re: Coronavirus: Risk in UK lockdown easing too soon, warn scientists

Well, people came here in their droves and now our local hospital is closed to new patients. Some of the staff that have it may have had kids at school, others will be going back there shortly...
We had few cases and only one death until recently. I can see Somerset getting locked down again.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 11:14 AM

Mark my words, there will be a lockdown again before long and this time I think it could be more severe.
People are ignoring advice, rules and common sense. The attitude seems to be "It won,t happen to me" It will!!!.
One can understand peoples frustration at the way this thing is being handled, or not handled by our government and are living life as normal. Just around here people that at the beginning were being sensible are now having barbeques, garden parties and in general carrying on as before.
I think the government eased up on these restrictions far to soon and did so more to please the people than any other reason as this virus is with us and at the moment is showing no signs, in spite of what Boris or his henchmen are telling us, of easing.
Someone posted a while ago referring to the measures being taken as 'like living in a police state' Well if 'living in a police state' will get rid of this thing then I,d prefer it than letting things run as they are at the moment.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Well, people came here in their droves and now our local hospital is closed to new patients. Some of the staff that have it may have had kids at school, others will be going back there shortly...
We had few cases and only one death until recently. I can see Somerset getting locked down again.
In my area (NW), too - I had to call the AA out for a flat battery and the mechanic said that, apart from local residents with flat batteries, most of his calls were from day-trippers heading for the sea-side in cars that hadn't been checked for weeks/months .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 11:30 AM

I asked why virus patients weren't taken or moved to the Nightingale hospital in Bristol, I was told it was only for those needing ventilators. I tried to find out how many patients have been treated there, no luck so far.
It means anyone needing urgent treatment for heart attacks, accidents etc have to travel to Taunton or Bristol now, not good imo.
I thought the new hospitals would stop other hospitals getting infected.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 01:24 PM

Same here Tess, it's a worry. Our county cases keep going up. No idea how many actually in my area, because Devon is a large county, but with tourists coming here it's bound to get worse, even though the police are sending people home, they can't catch all of them. I am staying in lock down until no cases.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 03:43 PM

I asked why virus patients weren't taken or moved to the Nightingale hospital in Bristol, I was told it was only for those needing ventilators. I tried to find out how many patients have been treated there, no luck so far.
It means anyone needing urgent treatment for heart attacks, accidents etc have to travel to Taunton or Bristol now, not good imo.
I thought the new hospitals would stop other hospitals getting infected.
Probably none, Tessa, just like the Nightingale in Brum.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

30-05-2020, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Same here Tess, it's a worry. Our county cases keep going up. No idea how many actually in my area, because Devon is a large county, but with tourists coming here it's bound to get worse, even though the police are sending people home, they can't catch all of them. I am staying in lock down until no cases.
There are some figures for individual Devon towns in this article:

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...firmed-4177081

Just 13 coronavirus cases confirmed in a week in Devon and Cornwall

Parts of Devon have now gone 21 days since a positive case was confirmed
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
There are some figures for individual Devon towns in this article:

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon...firmed-4177081
That is good, thank you very much for that.

But, if we get hundreds of tourists descending on us that could send the low amount of cases souring, not good.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

30-05-2020, 04:23 PM

I wonder if the Nightingales will be counted as new hospitals Boris said he was going to build.
It seems a bit odd that seriously ill virus patients weren't sent to them from the start whether they needed vetilators or not, seeing as they were specially equiped and built to separate each patient etc.

Are they real?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top