Join for free
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 02:40 PM

"Who do you think you are" Sunetra Sarker

Did anybody see this programme last night, it was fascinating and taught me a lot about the history of India, especially regarding Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Sunetra is an Indian actress who was born in Liverpool and has appeared on Brookside, as a young girl but is better know as a doctor on Casualty.
Sunetra's relatives had fought for women's education and equality and, as I had never learned about Indian history at school, I was astounded by some of the things that happened there.
If you get chance to see it, it is well worth watching, and I would be interested to hear how you felt about what happened there.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 03:51 PM

Re: "Who do you think you are" Sunetra Sarker

I watched it but not with any full attention , i was out in the day so was tired .
I did take in the shell of the property that was once her ancestor , and thought that was very interesting .
I shall probably watch it again and be more a wake .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 04:14 PM

They were talking about how West Pakistan moved into East Pakistan ( which is what they called Bangladesh when it happened) and the West Pakistanis captured and raped thousands of Bengali Hindu women ( I believe about 400,000) so their children would increase the Islam numbers.
Sunetra's ancestors seemed to be very brave and her great great grandfather was much loved by his people.
It was lovely to watch her fit in with people she had never met.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 04:31 PM

yes caught some of that about the rapes , wasnt it to make them ( Children )pure bred Pakistan .
I knew a little about the history of India and how Pakistan was once India and when the war came to them families got split up depending in what part of the Country they were in , I think it was something like the Berlin Wall east and west got split up and so did families .
.Im surprised she didnt know of her past , I think its important to know where you came from and what your ancesters were like ,After all we are here today because of them ..
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 05:35 PM

I watched it this morning and was really intersted to see how interference in India caused so much horror and heart ache.

It was so nice to see the people of her family's village welcome her .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
They were talking about how West Pakistan moved into East Pakistan ( which is what they called Bangladesh when it happened) and the West Pakistanis captured and raped thousands of Bengali Hindu women ( I believe about 400,000) so their children would increase the Islam numbers.
Sunetra's ancestors seemed to be very brave and her great great grandfather was much loved by his people.
It was lovely to watch her fit in with people she had never met.
East Pakistan was formerly Bengal and became annexed to Pakistan during the Indian partition in 1947. Bangladesh in turn wanted independence from Pakistan which led to the war and massacres of the Bangladeshi people by the Pakistani army in 1971. I remember the concerts for Bangladesh instigated by George Harrison to assist the victims of a great famine caused by the war. I can still remember the photos of emaciated starving children to this day.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

23-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
yes caught some of that about the rapes , wasnt it to make them ( Children )pure bred Pakistan .
I knew a little about the history of India and how Pakistan was once India and when the war came to them families got split up depending in what part of the Country they were in , I think it was something like the Berlin Wall east and west got split up and so did families .
.Im surprised she didnt know of her past , I think its important to know where you came from and what your ancesters were like ,After all we are here today because of them ..
As you look at the map, West Pakistan was on the top left side of India and Bengal, which became East Pakistan, was on the bottom right, with India separating them. So if families were split up they must have chosen to be on different sides of India. The Hindu's in Bengal were wanting their women to be treated as equals... something that I don't think ever happened in West Pakistan, where the majority were Muslim.
Those from Bengal seemed to be happy peaceful people, but then it changed to East Pakistan and eventually Bangladesh. My earliest memory of Bangladesh was the people there were starving. They still are, but they seemed very gentle friendly people... so I want to know more about them now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2017, 10:56 PM

I have yet to watch it Twink it sounds good...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top