Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Re: ''They shall not grow old''' film.

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Make a note/Set your PVR:

BBC2 21:30-23:05 Sun 11th Nov 2018 90m
Thanks.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 12:10 PM

Well, the film threw me at first - it was in smallscreen black and white, so I had to check that I was watching the right channel .....

The change to fullscreen colour came after 20 mins and was, initially, not that dramatic. What was very different, though was that the film speed had been adjusted to "normality". As the colour deepened, so the "reality" increased, especially when the wounded and dead were shown.

Surprisingly, the mood was upbeat, with the old soldiers saying they were glad to go, it was the best time of their life, they got on well with the Bavarians but not the Prussians and they were rather at a loose end when the war finished.

There was next to nothing about battles, losses and gains, technological advances, etc., but I believe that this was deliberate in order to convey that the soldiers knew nothing except their immediate vicinity and their struggle to survive in appalling conditions.

Not quite what I expected but nevertheless illuminating.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 12:13 PM

Just watched this and Jesus I knew trenches were tough but not for a moment could I have imagined how tough, boots freezing on your feet, rats and lice, crap food, men literally drowning in mud, no change of clothes, even your rest days spent working your bum off back at the supply depot.

The colour certainly worked for me though and can now understand why it was shown in the late evening rather than earliest as some of the shots of the dead soldiers and horses were quite horrific.

Though there was much naivety and understatement of the dangers to these young men/boys I was in awe of the humour that shone through.

Wonderful program.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top