Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 10:30 PM

Re: Three more die on Everest amid overcrowding near summit

Many years ago, I was very close with this chap's father. Dominic was always an active kid, as was his brother. However Dominic was fanatically into sports and bettering himself.
TBH I didn't take to him much, but all these years later I'm full of admiration for this and what he achieved:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dominic-renshaw

https://www.facebook.com/groups/166170860610974/photos/

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/cl...air-ambulance/

Check out the photos, no sign of rubbish, dead bodies or queues.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 11:01 PM

An expert said people need to be vetted on experience, the news tonight said some did not know how to fix crampons to their boots.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 05:44 AM

Humans are a remarkable and ridiculous species.

Pesta, your friend sounded interesting. I noticed that he trained ten years to attempt an ascent.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 11:52 AM

Everest deaths: Four reasons why this climbing season went wrong

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48423738

I've tried to summarise but this is still a long piece .....

1. Missed weather window

Many of the climbers began gathering at Everest base camp at the start of May. At the same time, the authorities were concerned about the knock-on effects of Cyclone Fani which had already struck India and Bangladesh. The weather deteriorated in the Nepalese Himalayas days after the cyclone, forcing the government to suspend all mountaineering activities for at least two days.

Prolonged bad weather meant that the practice of fixing bolted rope to assist climbers trying to reach the summit was delayed. Meanwhile the crowd at base camp continued to build. After the ropes were fixed by mid-May, the first feasible clear-weather window was 19 and 20 May.

But only a few teams chose to climb then while the majority waited for the second window - from 22 to 24 May. Mountaineering experts say this was when the crowd management went wrong.

2. 'Bad crowd-management'

23 May saw the maximum number of climbers on one day - more than 250.

Climbers had to wait for hours below the summit - both on the way up and on the way down. Many of them were exhausted and their oxygen cylinders were running low.

Nepal's mountaineering regulation requires expedition teams to have liaison officers on the mountains. This time 59 of them were appointed to accompany the teams but only five of them stayed until the final part of the climb. Some did not even turn up, while most of those who did went home after a few days at the base camp. If all the liaison officials had stayed on the mountain, managing the crowd would have been much easier.

3. Inexperienced climbers

Mountaineering experts say there is also an increase in the number of inexperienced climbers joining the growing crowd on Everest. This time round, many of them had just one Sherpa guide with their team, officials at the base camp said.

Veteran climbers have long suggested Nepal's government should introduce certain criteria, including mandatory experience of having climbed peaks above 6,000m, for issuing Everest climbing permits.

4. Competition between operators

The quest to get anyone willing to pay has been mainly down to intense competition between operators, particularly old and new ones. With the entry of new expedition operators offering cheaper prices, mountaineers say even some of the established ones have been forced to cut their fees.

"Unfortunately the competition is for volume and not for quality." said Tshering Pande Bhote, vice president of Nepal National Mountain Guides Association.

Expedition operators admit there are problems but they argue they also need to increase the number of visitors for the growth of the industry.

"Next year, for example, is Visit Nepal Year (a mega-tourism campaign that aims to bring in two million tourists)," says Dambar Parajuli, president of the Expedition Operators Association of Nepal."
It seems that the greed of operators and the vanity of amateurs have ensured the desecration of Everation .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48395241

Stuck in traffic on Everest .....
Everest is still safer than Queensland roads with 11 people killed in three days.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...30-p51smt.html

Got to keep these things in perspective.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Everest is still safer than Queensland roads with 11 people killed in three days.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...30-p51smt.html

Got to keep these things in perspective.
AFAIK, no Australians have tried to drive up Everest .....

It's a good job, too, if Queensland drivers are typical:

In total, 245 people lost their lives on Queensland roads in 2018 and more than 5500 were seriously injured.

Superintendent Johnson said several lives were lost this week due to "decisions and choices that drivers make on our roads".

He said the fatal five - distraction, speeding, drink and drug driving, not wearing a seatbelt and driving while tired - remained "too prominent" and the speed of some drivers was "alarming".
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-06-2019, 03:58 AM

Mount Everest: 11 tonnes of rubbish cleared

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...ubbish-cleared (with video)

06 Jun 2019

A clean-up expedition to Mount Everest has removed 11 tonnes (11,000 kilos) of rubbish and four dead bodies from the world's highest mountain.

Cleaners spent weeks collecting food wrappings, cans, bottles and empty toxic cylinders, according to the Nepal Tourism Department.

The four bodies were exposed by melting snow and were carried to base camp and then flown to a hospital in Kathmandu for identification.

Presumably, this is what humans will do to the Moon and Mars one day - litter them with Coke cans, bodies and excrement .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

15-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Mount Everest: Climbers set to face new rules after deadly season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49348071

Climbers who want to attempt Mount Everest should first have to demonstrate that they are experienced mountaineers, a panel advising Nepal's government has recommended.

Its report proposes that applicants must already have climbed a Nepali peak of at least 6,500m (21,325ft).

They should also have to provide a certificate of physical fitness, and employ experienced guides, it adds.

The panel's report also proposes a fee of at least $35,000 (£29,000) for those wanting to climb Everest, and $20,000 for other mountains higher than 8,000m.

It was set up after criticism from experienced climbers and guides of the system that allows anyone who pays $11,000 to climb Everest.

Nepal's government issued a record 381 permits this season.
Another step in reducing unsustainable mass/global tourism .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Mount Everest: Climbers set to face new rules after deadly season

Another step in reducing unsustainable mass/global tourism .....
Unfortunately it is happening even in god's country.

Personally I will never bother going to the Blue Mountains Scenic World or Victoria's Great Ocean Road as they have just got too crowded to be fun any more.

I was going to Uluru (Ayres Rock) for a second visit in October but because the climb is being closed on 26th Oct there are queues waiting to climb it and accommodation is booked out until then so I will postpone that trip until next year. I have never wished to climb the rock, the walk round the rock is quite enough.

Even remote towns like Broome are complaining

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...towns/11349400
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-08-2019, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Unfortunately it is happening even in god's country.

Personally I will never bother going to the Blue Mountains Scenic World or Victoria's Great Ocean Road as they have just got too crowded to be fun any more.

I was going to Uluru (Ayres Rock) for a second visit in October but because the climb is being closed on 26th Oct there are queues waiting to climb it and accommodation is booked out until then so I will postpone that trip until next year. I have never wished to climb the rock, the walk round the rock is quite enough.

Even remote towns like Broome are complaining

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...towns/11349400
I think you'll find that there is a thread specifically for Uluru .....

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top