Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 10:08 PM

Is there anything on this planet ...

... that Amazon do not sell?

At the moment I have bad cataracts in both eyes and am viewing the world through fog! My optician said it was not worth buying new prescription reading glasses as, once the cataracts are dealt with, they would be redundant. Suggested I used the 'over the counter' type. Problem there is - most places that sell these only go up to 3:50 magnification and I need 4:00. Checked on Amazon yestermorn - guess what - found exactly what I needed - ordered them - they arrived today. Four pairs for £12!!

Nice surprise - they came complete with pouch type cases, 4 x cords to dangle them around my neck, which is good as I am always losing them, and cleaning cloths!

That is what I would call a bargain!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 10:33 PM

Re: Is there anything on this planet ...

Glad you found what you needed ST.

I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon. I love that I can find things as you have but hate the prime membership push. I accidentally clicked on this last month and now I have membership for a month (as I promptly cancelled but it still carries on until the end date). So annoying but also very nice to have parcels the very next day. It must be a huge pressure for vendors to satisfy prime customers.

My real bugbear is that a) reviews are inconsistent and not always representative of the product, b) vendors changing a product you have ordered before.

in respect of a) they group together reviews for similar products. So the reviews you read may be for the same product but not the one advertised by the seller on the page. So when I ordered some eyeshadow from a seller and it was a completely different colour from that on the page, I found tons of great reviews for the real product (which looked nothing like the photo). When i left a review to point this out they did not publish it - which proves my point.

b) I was infuriated to order some of my favourite lipstick using the previous orders option and to find that it was a different colour!. The template had been used to sell a different shade. The seller refused to take them back - buyer beware!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 11:18 PM

These giant retailers, sorry, still a bit Circumspect.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
These giant retailers, sorry, still a bit Circumspect.
Maybe, but they do have special offers.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 04:20 PM

I am a bit of a newcomer to Amazon and, so far, I have been completely satisfied with the things I have bought. I haven't had to send anything back yet though and am not sure how that would work if it is something big. I still like to see things "in the flesh" and maybe with delivery to pay for not everything is as good value as I would hope it would be. I am still a bit wary of buying on line, unless it is from somewhere like Debenhams or M & S when I can take things back to the local store if they are not right.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 11:17 PM

I need to repot my three Orchids shortly, and couldn't get the see-through clear pots locally for them.
I have just easily ordered some from Aamzon, plus the spray mist for them, along with the special bark/compost to plant them in.

That has saved me trudging round and round different places trying to find the pots and accessories I wanted, and everything is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 11:26 PM

I had to return something to Amazon the other day because it wasn't suitable and was surprised to find the printable return label was just a scannable square .

The post office scanned the parcel and when I got home there was an email to say I had been refunded now that is good service
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I am still a bit wary of buying on line, unless it is from somewhere like Debenhams or M & S when I can take things back to the local store if they are not right.

As long as your local store hasn't closed down due to inability to compete with the tax dodging Amazon. Our high street has lost both M&S and Debenhams, not to mention BHS, Next, Littlewoods and Woolworths. Oh and C&A.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I had to return something to Amazon the other day because it wasn't suitable and was surprised to find the printable return label was just a scannable square .

The post office scanned the parcel and when I got home there was an email to say I had been refunded now that is good service
Same with me a few weeks ago, Meg. I had bought a webcam which wasn’t compatible with my phone, took it to my local Next for return and I too got the email re refund very quickly. Certainly before the parcel had got back to them. They wrapped it up, and scanned something on my phone on the email.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 10:39 AM

You can buy 4 and 4.5 x glasses from the $2 shop have you tried them? Mind you they are $2.99 or $3.99 for posh ones (£1.50 or £2).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top