Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 09:07 PM

camera sensor how I clean mine

Sensor seen through a loupe (explain later on)

ok what is a sensor?

An image sensor is a solid-state device, the part of the camera's hardware that captures light and converts what you see through a viewfinder or LCD monitor into an image.

Now all cameras have a sensor but the problem with cameras you can change lenses with can attract dust (dust bunnies). One of the big problems with this type of camera.

So how to remover the dust bunny?
There are several different ways

1= Send it away for cleaning , but this means you will be without a camera for possibly several weeks and at a fairly expensive cost.

2= More common is to blow out dust with a blower of some description, usually what is called a rocket blower

Mine needs a wipe over.

Personally I hate using one of these as I find it tends to stir up dust within the camera body, but that is my choice not to use, many do though.

3 = My choice is to use a Spinning brush designed for the job. Not spinning in the camera body but outside to build up a static charge that attracts the dust bunnies to it

Once the static charge has built up stop the spinning and gently brush over the sensor once and remove spin and repeat process

On of the problems when cleaning a sensor what is seen in a photo, on a sensor it is the other way around ,top becomes bottom and left becomes right. this makes thinks a bit harder so back to the first para. and a Loupe. This is purly a magnifying glass that has built in LED lights and rests where the lens normally fits

now you can see (pic no 1) exactly where the dust bunny is.

All that is ok for light dust but what if the dust bunny is stuck to the sensor?
This is where the use of a swab comes into use. Depending on sensor size depends on what size swab and also needed is sensor cleaning fluid

too much fluid on a swab is the devils own job to wipe off a sensor. So what I do is to put a drop on a work surface and dip the swap into it. This way you don't get the swab too wet.

Anyway that is how I keep my camera sensors clean

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course one can edit out dust bunnies and small hairs, but on several hundred photos? individually ??????

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top