Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 06:52 PM

Recommendations for a new printer please.

My HP printer won't pull the paper through anymore, it's never been much good. I had an Epsom which wasn't brilliant either. Both used expensive ink.

Can anyone recommend a good printer which is not too expensive, prints any size good quality pictures and not too expensive on the ink front?

My first printer was a Lexmark which would print on anything including cardboard, acetate and canvas paper. Are they still good?

Any ideas?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 07:00 PM

Re: Recommendations for a new printer please.

I've had Epson and Canon printers in the past but now would only buy an HP all-in-one along with their £2-00 a month instant ink deal.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 07:03 PM

This is the second HP one I've had Mart, not impressed, they tend to mess up the paper feed.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
This is the second HP one I've had Mart, not impressed, they tend to mess up the paper feed.
We probably all have different experiences. Mine have been good with HP but not so good with the other makes mentioned.

A few other recommendations will be along soon I expect.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 08:07 PM

Some time ago, I switched to an Epson XP442 from an HP B209 (both budget budget models at around £50) and saved money on running costs while losing nothing on quality.

The current Epson replacement, the XP4100, cen be more expensive (£50-£90) and not necessarily better but still worth considering.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/prin...mes-with-costs

The Expression Home XP-4100 is one of the best options for around £50. It’s slightly faster than the old XP-452, not to mention cut-price rivals like the Canon Pixma TS-3150, while the overall print quality is surprisingly good for the money.
When buying a budget model, I would advise buying one with separate (not combined) colour cartridges (the XP-4100 has 4) since colour usage can vary considerably and having to but a combined cartidge instead of just the colour you want can increase running costs ..... and, of course, always buy compatible ink cartridges - I get mine from Refresh.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 10:01 PM

I have the Kodak ESP5210 as one of my printers. I use this one to print photos from my camera and scans I've taken from slides over the years. The quality is very good and the running costs are frugal compared with some printers I've had in the past. Mine has been superseded by this one, but the features are the same except for the addition of Wi-Fi.

https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-ESP-525.../dp/B002MAPRZE
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 01:02 AM

My take on this is that printers are printers. YOu can be lucky with a particular brand and it will last for a good while. But in the big picture most of the ones that are on sale to the general public are all much the same. They are produced cheaply and are not built to last. Like just about everything else you need to do your research to find a good quality product. When you do you will pay a lot more than you will on a cheap throwaway job. But it will do the job and do it well for a long time. Something made in Germany, Japan or the US is what I would go for. You can't get anything good without paying for it. That principle never lets me down. Kodak is a good suggestion
PSXtreme
Missouri, United States
PSXtreme is male 

06-05-2020, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Some time ago, I switched to an Epson XP442 from an HP B209 (both budget budget models at around £50) and saved money on running costs while losing nothing on quality.

The current Epson replacement, the XP4100, cen be more expensive (£50-£90) and not necessarily better but still worth considering.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/prin...mes-with-costs

When buying a budget model, I would advise buying one with separate (not combined) colour cartridges (the XP-4100 has 4) since colour usage can vary considerably and having to but a combined cartidge instead of just the colour you want can increase running costs ..... and, of course, always buy compatible ink cartridges - I get mine from Refresh.

We have a similar model ET-2720 and the wife really liked it before she passed. MUCH better with the ink that with those tiny ink-jet printers.

I use an HP LaserJetMFP M130fw for my schoolwork. It only prints in B&W but I've used it for 2 semesters now and have yet to refill the ink or toner.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 06:06 AM

Personally I think inkjets are expensive things of the past I have owned a couple of laser printers and they are faster and more consistent.

Currently I have a Fuji Xerox CP305d colour printer and find it excellent. I had a mono chrome Brother printer before which was pretty good too

I think it cost about $220 (£110) and the cartridges I use are generic ones for about $80 (£40) for a set of four - they last a hell of a long time.

It takes up a bit more room than an inkjet but it is also a network printer (or USB) so it doesn't have to be near your computer.

Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:46 AM

Before throwing it away, it's worth getting something like WD40 Fast Drying Contact Cleaner to squirt onto the rollers and gently wipe with a cloth. It's "cured" my printer of pick-up issues when they naturally occur every few months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top