Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2020, 08:31 PM

noisy computer

wel it is 8 years old and used every day. So thought about time i had another dig around inside. Didn't even know the case had a vent underneath so that got a good dust removal clearout.
Inside one of the components for cooling the spring loaded fixixing screws was loose so a few turns with a screwdriver on both screw has helped deaded the constant audible hum.
Still not perfecly quiet but far better than it was.

Think i shall have to think about getting a new computer if parts on this one are aging too much
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 07:01 AM

Re: noisy computer

I have found with a couple of Desktop computers that the processor fan gets noisier with age. A tiny spot of oil on the bearings can help.

I usually get my computers from local computer shops who make them up to requirements. One of those requirements is that it should be as quiet as possible.

I broke with tradition last January and bought a very small computer called an 'Intel NUC' (mentioned on here a while ago) from an Ebay seller. It has turned out to be a good buy. Quite high specifications and the fan noise is barely audible. Originally bought as a second computer but so quiet and efficient that I now use it as the main one.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 08:08 AM

My current desktop pc (HP) came with W8, so I guess it's more than 10 years old, nice and quite, never had to blow any dust out.

The one before that (HP) became noisy, and noisier, I tried canned compressed air ... helped a bit but not much.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Apart from the advice given above, it is always a good idea to check that the fins of the heat sink on the main processor are not clogged with dust/fluff because the temperature of the processor controls the turn on and the speed of the cooling fan.

If it is clogged the fan runs faster and is hence noisier especially when doing heavy processing like videos.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2020, 01:02 PM

Just checked in the BIOS room temp quite high as well

Got the fan sound right down as well. tighening those screws sure did the trick
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 11:13 AM

Is it really worth doing all that work, on a fan, rather than just replacing the old, tired, fan, with a brand new, squeakily clean one?

Think of the safety implications of aforesaid noisy hot fan bursting into flames & killing off all of your offspring!

Just for the sake of a few quid!

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 03:19 PM

I was very comfortable about going into the computer with a noisy processor fan and fixing it. Putting a tiny spot of oil on the bearing made it rotate in a much happier way. Not any more work to do than changing the fan and I didn't add to the throwaway society.

The house is still standing.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-05-2020, 03:22 PM

It was the CPU fan that was noisy and the unit not that old, now just a faint background hum
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

17-05-2020, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
It was the CPU fan that was noisy and the unit not that old, now just a faint background hum
I think I remember reading that you actually built your computer didn't you? That must mean you could tighten a screw or two when necessary.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-05-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I think I remember reading that you actually built your computer didn't you? That must mean you could tighten a screw or two when necessary.
see original post

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top