Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 02:03 PM

Coronavirus: Author Neil Gaiman's 11,000-mile lockdown trip to Scottish isle

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-52697289
Author Neil Gaiman has admitted breaking Scotland's lockdown rules by travelling 11,000 miles from New Zealand to his holiday home on Skye.

The Good Omens and American Gods writer left his wife and son in Auckland so he could "isolate" at his island retreat.

The science fiction and fantasy author has since been criticised for "endangering" local people".

The SNP's Westminster leader Ian Blackford, who is the MP for the island, told the Sunday Times the author's journey was unacceptable.

He said: "What is it about people, when they know we are in the middle of lockdown that they think they can come here from the other side of the planet, in turn endangering local people from exposure to this infection that they could have picked up at any step of the way?"
I've never heard of him ..... but I'll immediately put him in my "t****r" category .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 03:05 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Author Neil Gaiman's 11,000-mile lockdown trip to Scottish isle

Not a mate of Emma Thompson is he? Strange that they've both gone to remote Scottish islands.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 05:12 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Author Neil Gaiman's 11,000-mile lockdown trip to Scottish isle

He does have the American Gods on his side.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 09:13 PM

I'm not too concerned about his mammoth journey; very little risk to him or anybody else, and we let him in with our slack border defences...But how did the press get hold of it?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
But how did the press get hold of it?
Apparently, he's famous and has famous friends:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Gaiman

Neil Richard MacKinnon Gaiman is an English author of short fiction, novels, comic books, graphic novels, nonfiction, audio theatre, and films. His works include the comic book series The Sandman and novels Stardust, American Gods, Coraline, and The Graveyard Book. He has won numerous awards, including the Hugo, Nebula, and Bram Stoker awards, as well as the Newbery and Carnegie medals. He is the first author to win both the Newbery and the Carnegie medals for the same work, The Graveyard Book (2008). In 2013, The Ocean at the End of the Lane was voted Book of the Year in the British National Book Awards.
He is an active self-publicist, in real-life and on the internet, as is his wife.

2 Weeks ago, his "separation" from his wife became public, as both of them admitted it on the internet.

Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer announce split as he leaves young son in New Zealand

5 MAY 2020

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...ounce-21975976
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 09:52 AM

He sounds like an interesting bloke Omah, I'll have to look up his work. I think Covid 19 sounds like the least of his worries, but it's a long way to go to leave your wife. When I left Mrs Fox back in 2018 I managed to get as far as Hull...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

18-05-2020, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
He sounds like an interesting bloke Omah
Not to me .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

18-05-2020, 04:51 PM

Police Scotland said officers had visited Mr Gaiman at his holiday home on Skye.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Insp Linda Allan said the officers spoke to the author "about his actions".

She said: "He has been given suitable advice about essential travel and reminded about the current guidelines in Scotland."

The science fiction and fantasy author has been criticised for "endangering" local people".

Kate Forbes, SNP MSP for Skye, Lochaber and Badenoch, also criticised the writer's actions.

She said: "The remarkable thing is that he posted a blog post about his travel to Skye - evidently oblivious to local residents' concerns and outrage about people breaking lockdown and putting their community at risk.

"The Highlands does not exist for anybody's personal self-isolation needs."
NICOLA Sturgeon has condemned author Neil Gaiman after he broke lockdown rules to travel to Skye.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18...own-trip-skye/

The First Minister was asked about Gaiman at the Scottish Government’s daily coronavirus briefing.

She said travelling to remote parts of the country risked bringing the virus there and putting pressure on local services.

"Do not do it,” the FM commented. “You should not be travelling away from your home apart from in the essential circumstances that we cover here on a daily basis.

"So that's my message to Neil Gaiman and it's my message to everybody."
Well done to the police and FM.

I would like to think that Gaiman's thoroughly ashamed of his selfish, inconsiderate action but I suspect that he's one of the ultra-rich breed who doesn't give a toss .....
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 09:33 PM

Apparently according to many of the tabloid press who have picked up the story, he has been living in New Zealand with his wife and son for a number of years. The lockdown caused friction in their martial relationship and the couple decided to spend time away from each other. Wife stayed in New Zealand with their son whilst he flew to Scotland where he has a home on the Isle of Skye.

He is basically using a loophole in the system that allows UK nationals to return home but that was for people who were currently on vacation or UK nationals working abroad. Allowing UK nationals to return home during the pandemic was not for those who are having marital problems. He's abused the system and is now trying to claim he has done nothing wrong because he is returning home. What he has deliberately failed to tell everyone is the reason why he's returned home to the UK.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-05-2020, 09:53 PM

Good on him I say, you can't expect him to stay with his missus if they no longer get along, and what's the point of having an empty house in Scotland if finds himself out on the street. Covid is the last thing on his mind, I would have done the same thing in his position. I doubt whether he could have made the journey if he had been infected. You can't blame him for our slack border controls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top