Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 03:59 PM

Any Help Gratefully Received.

Good afternoon all,

I hope you won’t mind me asking for your help. I am due a Warfarin blood test this Friday, and asking for anyone’s advice because whatever I consume will show up in the test for at least 10 days prior, so I have to be careful I don’t eat anything that is high in Vitamin K.

The problem - I am trying not to waste any food before my next shop, I have 2 x M&S Cornish Pasties in the fridge that I was planning to use for dinner tonight, the only problem is that it doesn’t say whether it has any Vitamin K contained in it! In fact, it doesn’t give any vitamin information at all. I have searched high and low on the net to find out whether and how much Vitamin K there is in a pasty, and I have had to admit defeat. They all show the calorific and nutritional information, but not a word on Vitamins.

I wonder if anyone perhaps on warfarin or suchlike happens to know. I wouldn’t bother you but the use by date is up by tomorrow, 20th and I don’t want to freeze them as they never somehow taste as nice once defrosted.

Thank you very much in advance.

Shroppie xx
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 05:16 PM

Re: Any Help Gratefully Received.

Have a look here - it lists the vitamins in Cornish pasties:-

https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/nut...-pasty,140150/
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 05:54 PM

This may help...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...gh-in-vitamin-
k#section1

It doesn't look like Cornish pasties would be a problem.

Good luck with the test!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 06:01 PM

I can certainly help, Just send the Cornish pasties to me.

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 06:03 PM

ST and Twink. It does look as though the pasty will be fine to eat after looking at both links you gave. Thank you very much both of you. xx
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 06:05 PM

I hope all goes well with your blood test, SG... good luck with it.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-05-2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I can certainly help, Just send the Cornish pasties to me.

No chance! I have spent ages missing this glorious sunshine trying to find out if I can eat my Cornish Pasty, so I'm afraid you will have to buy your own!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

19-05-2020, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the good luck! This will be my 5th blood test in 12 weeks, beginning to feel like a pin-cushion!
Oh well, it will be onward with the mask and gloves... don't look forward to going there because I have to climb three lots of stairs rather than take the lift (don't know who has touched what in there). so usually gasping for air having to wear a mask, by the time I reach the top. Bloomin COPD. lol.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Good afternoon all,

I hope you won’t mind me asking for your help. I am due a Warfarin blood test this Friday, and asking for anyone’s advice because whatever I consume will show up in the test for at least 10 days prior, so I have to be careful I don’t eat anything that is high in Vitamin K.

The problem - I am trying not to waste any food before my next shop, I have 2 x M&S Cornish Pasties in the fridge that I was planning to use for dinner tonight, the only problem is that it doesn’t say whether it has any Vitamin K contained in it! In fact, it doesn’t give any vitamin information at all. I have searched high and low on the net to find out whether and how much Vitamin K there is in a pasty, and I have had to admit defeat. They all show the calorific and nutritional information, but not a word on Vitamins.

I wonder if anyone perhaps on warfarin or suchlike happens to know. I wouldn’t bother you but the use by date is up by tomorrow, 20th and I don’t want to freeze them as they never somehow taste as nice once defrosted.

Thank you very much in advance.

Shroppie xx
Shrops,

Have you been on warfarin for a while, or is this going to be a new experience?

Reason for asking is that, round here, they've been moving people off Warfarin, onto apixaban.

Since apixaban doesn't involve monthly blood tests, it's much easier to live with.

Bit more expensive, for the practice, but balanced out by the amount of time for test/reviews/etc.

I understand that they moved me off Warfarin to help take the load off the staff due to Covid19.

Note: Just read the warfarin "instruction sheet".

It says in "Things which affect Warfarin":-

1) reduces effect of warfarin - Vitamin k, Foods such as liver, broccoli, brussels sprouts, green leafy vegetables, which all contain large amounts of K.

2) Avoid Cranberry or grapefruit juice

If you want to read the full sheet I'll copy and attach it to email.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 10:00 PM

I've developed a craving and a burning desire to find a cornish pastie recipe. yum yum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top