Join for free
Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 04:26 PM

Re: It's official, Big Ben will chime on 31st January

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Well I don't give a stuff about upsetting Europhiles, this is a HUGE success for democracy and for Britain as a whole - and if the minority don't like it then they can suck it up.

This ^^^
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
This ^^^
Hi

Well I do, a lot of people voted stay and it has yet to be proven that my vote for Leave was the correct one.

I genuinely believe it was but also realise that some will lose their jobs for a time.

Redundancy is never a good thing if you have kids and a mortgage.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 08:13 PM

At 23:00 GMT Jan the UK will regain independence, a thing that should never have been handed over to the loathsome EU in the first place.

A proposal was made to sound Big Ben to celebrate this great event but the cost of doing so was said to be half a mil quid according to the civil service estimate.

Mark Francois, the Conservative MP for Rayleigh and Wickford has now shown the all up cost to be about fifteen thousand.

In addition various church leaders have vetoed a freedom peal to celebrate Freedom Day.

Just WTF is going on? The most stupendous event since the end of WW2 and a refusal to celebrate it?

I think it's time that the civil service swamp was drained and a bunch of men in dresses were picked up by the ears and thoroughly shaken.
I think that displays precisely who in our country is still quietly seething about our leaving the EU.

Let them! They won't stop us celebrating the event.

And as for the god-botherers 'in dresses', most of them have always been quite removed from the majority of ordinary people. If they're daft enough to believe in a sky fairy, perhaps it's understandable that they believe in the EU.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 08:22 PM

Well I don't give a stuff about upsetting Europhiles, this is a HUGE success for democracy and for Britain as a whole - and if the minority don't like it then they can suck it up.
I agree.

I have said many times that Brexit is important, but I was always more concerned about the loss of our democracy.

For some time, it looked like our democracy had gone to Hell in a handcart as, despite the majority vote to leave the EU there was so much opposition to it, especially among our elected representatives, that it became a serious concern that we had reverted to rule by self-serving overlords.

Yes, we should celebrate Brexit, but we should be even more relieved and happy that we still appear to have a democratic system of government - government by the people (and I'm certainly not a Marxist, so don't misinterpret that!).
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Well I do, a lot of people voted stay and it has yet to be proven that my vote for Leave was the correct one.

I genuinely believe it was but also realise that some will lose their jobs for a time.

No it's not, but the track record of EU grants moving British jobs over to Poland hasn't been brilliant for people with kids and mortgages either, or if your a fisherman, a ship builder or a car manufacturer.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-01-2020, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There have been many redundancies while we have been in the EU. Many of our businesses and industries have removed themselves, or sold themselves out, to EU nations.

Now is the time for the remoaners to join in with the democratic decision and decide to join in with us and collectively do the best for our country once we are out, instead of constantly carping and attempting to oppose the future health and wealth of the country simply because they're spitting their dummies out.

EDIT:
Sorry, Bread. I seem to have repeated a point you have just made. Great minds think alike!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

18-01-2020, 08:32 PM

Just heard Mark Francois on LBC talking about the Big Ben Bongs. After he got more detail about the costs, it turns out that the :

1. Cost of the clapper and the flooring amounts to £120K
2. Extra, unplanned work would put the contractors 2 weeks behind schedule so they would incur penalties of £100K per week.

The net total therefore is £320K (but "could" be £500K if something goes wrong etc).

So looks like the contractors are starting to row back on this and with the crown funding up to £260K already, it looks like this may happen after all. According to Mark Francois a bill needs to be put through parliament on Monday for approval on Tuesday and then it could be back on !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-01-2020, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Just heard Mark Francois on LBC talking about the Big Ben Bongs. After he got more detail about the costs, it turns out that the :

1. Cost of the clapper and the flooring amounts to £120K
2. Extra, unplanned work would put the contractors 2 weeks behind schedule so they would incur penalties of £100K per week.

The net total therefore is £320K (but "could" be £500K if something goes wrong etc).

So looks like the contractors are starting to row back on this and with the crown funding up to £260K already, it looks like this may happen after all. According to Mark Francois a bill needs to be put through parliament on Monday for approval on Tuesday and then it could be back on !
A typo, I know, but if the crown should become unnaturally generous and match the crowd funding amount, we'd be there without a doubt!

Which causes me to wonder whether the Queen is actually in favour of Brexit although, of course, she would never publicly say so.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Which causes me to wonder whether the Queen is actually in favour of Brexit although, of course, she would never publicly say so.
Brexit is an ideology, I doubt she concerns herself with such. I hope she, like me, is more concerned about the way the referendum was allowed to happen, to be sold to us by someone who didn't want it, to be allowed to become so party political and destructive.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
i agree.

i have said many times that brexit is important, but i was always more concerned about the loss of our democracy.

for some time, it looked like our democracy had gone to hell in a handcart as, despite the majority vote to leave the eu there was so much opposition to it, especially among our elected representatives, that it became a serious concern that we had reverted to rule by self-serving overlords.

Yes, we should celebrate brexit, but we should be even more relieved and happy that we still appear to have a democratic system of government - government by the people (and i'm certainly not a marxist, so don't misinterpret that!).

Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top