Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 12:27 PM

Re: Scotland Ban Smacking

I believe parents should have a right to discipline their own children. Unfortunately some parents use this opening to harm and abuse their kids which leaves far from good results. At one time my father broke his hand in 3 places and had a cast up past his elbow.

Of course they both deny it ever happened but there are hospital medical records. He even made an appointment with a counsellor stating it was my fault he broke his hand.

The counsellor told him he was really lucky that I didn’t have him arrested and thrown in jail. He conveniently forgets that part too.

Fortunately most parents love their children too much in inflict this type of abuse. Not being able to discipline your own children could lead to children getting too big for their bridges.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
That's nothing by comparison to my maths teacher. He used to clear almost a complete row of desks, leaving just one over which the pupil had to bend, face down. The teacher would then use the 'run-up' of where the desks had been removed to administer either the cane or slipper across the backside of that pupil!

That was extremely painful, I know as I was often that pupil. Then that teacher wondered why, one lunchtime when he returned to his car parked behind a wall next to the playground, he found all the windows smashed!

Karma! – No, it wasn't me who did that but there was quite a wide choice of pupils he had used the cane or slipper on!

The image of that sounds funny now but I bet it wasn't at the time.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

The image of that sounds funny now but I bet it wasn't at the time.
It definitely wasn't funny at the time I can tell you, like you say though the image of it does conjure up something to be laughed at. Imagine that happening today! That teacher would lose his job and end up inside after paying me £ thousands in compensation. I expect he's dead now and I don't reckon much on digging him up so he may have won. Nasty ******* that he was!

But in reality he didn't win as I had a good job with almost full employment for 55 years – so there Mr Brown, stick your maths, that cane and that slipper where the sun doesn't shine!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 04:13 PM

The problem, once again, is that by making a sweeping one size fits all law, albeit for good intentions, the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:27 AM

That's nothing by comparison to my maths teacher. He used to clear almost a complete row of desks, leaving just one over which the pupil had to bend, face down. The teacher would then use the 'run-up' of where the desks had been removed to administer either the cane or slipper across the backside of that pupil!

That was extremely painful, I know as I was often that pupil. Then that teacher wondered why, one lunchtime when he returned to his car parked behind a wall next to the playground, he found all the windows smashed!

Karma! – No, it wasn't me who did that but there was quite a wide choice of pupils he had used the cane or slipper on!
Just one word for him. Scumbag. I like to think of myself as a peaceful, law respecting man. BUt if you were my son he did that to - in that sadistic and cruel way - he'd have more than his car windows smashed.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Just one word for him. Scumbag. I like to think of myself as a peaceful, law respecting man. BUt if you were my son he did that to - in that sadistic and cruel way - he'd have more than his car windows smashed.
There were however, many, many more words when he emerged from seeing his car with every window smashed. Almost the whole playground, full of pupils cheering and jeering, together with their very own expressions of contempt!

Karma – what more can be said!

In those days (late 1950s / early 1960s) corporal punishment of that nature was usual, many parents were very strict believing their child deserved what they received. Nowadays things have gone totally the reverse, hence the problems in schools often seen today with some pupils 'ruling the roost' and with the backing of their parents.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 11:33 AM

But in reality he didn't win as I had a good job with almost full employment for 55 years – so there Mr Brown, stick your maths, that cane and that slipper where the sun doesn't shine!
One could argue that his actions significantly affected your future fortunes and that you actually owe him a great debt.
Baz46

06-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
One could argue that his actions significantly affected your future fortunes and that you actually owe him a great debt.
Yes, possibly but that could have gone either way, depending on the type of person I was at the time. It could equally have put me right down and that would have been totally negative. However, as it happens it did not and another event, many of them actually, occurred when I was serving my six-year apprenticeship. It was 'tradition' that apprentices were given a hard time and during that time I was often 'put down' in all manner of ways in order to 'toughen up'. That, together with the 'maths teacher' incident, made me far more resilient so more able to deal with the 'trials and tribulations' most of us face in life.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

06-10-2019, 11:57 AM

It was 'tradition' that apprentices were given a hard time and during that time I was often 'put down' in all manner of ways in order to 'toughen up'. That, together with the 'maths teacher' incident, made me far more resilient so more able to deal with the 'trials and tribulations' most of us face in life.
Excellent. I urge you to find his grave and put a bunch of flowers on it.

Then, stamp on them and have a well earned dump on the gravestone
Baz46

06-10-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Excellent. I urge you to find his grave and put a bunch of flowers on it.

Then, stamp on them and have a well earned dump on the gravestone
I can see what you mean but in no way would I allow that event to bring that kind of reaction from me. I much prefer instead to reflect on the look on his face, which I remember to this day some 60 years' later, when he slunk away to the jeers and names from pupils that day.

That in itself is satisfaction enough without any negative reaction from me. To react in that way would mean that he still retains some control over me, which he definitely does not.

'Revenge' if that is what that could be termed as, is in the satisfaction of 55 years' almost full employment in a trade that gave me so much that is positive.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top