Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 11:19 PM

Re: £50m-worth of jewellery?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sometimes jewelry especially precious metal are a very good investment and are under the taxman's radar.
And if the economy goes tits up you get to keep your wealth.
You can also gift jewelry with no penalty.

And have you seen how much interest the banks are paying these days? you can make twenty times that with precious metals and gemstones.
That's odd because people are being sucked dry of their wealth just because they own a house and need to pay for care. So if you have a stash of jewels in the safe or a super expensive oil painting or a Ming vase you don't have to declare that?

The whole news story is obscene IMO. Someone buys a bracelet for £80k when there are people selling the Big issue around the corner. It's not just two different worlds but two different universes.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It said she was an heiress and I looked up her father. He seems to be worth 4bn with an original business in used cars, then F1. I read that he sold his rights to F1 years ago but I just didn't realise that F1 was so incredibly lucrative. I think this is higher than Trump's fortune.

I am amazed that you haven’t heard of Bernie Ecclestone !
He bought his two daughters pads in London at about 50+ million a piece some years back .
The house is in a road where most of the other houses are embassies or owned by rich foreign royalty .
It should be the most secure street in the world !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's odd because people are being sucked dry of their wealth just because they own a house and need to pay for care. So if you have a stash of jewels in the safe or a super expensive oil painting or a Ming vase you don't have to declare that?

The whole news story is obscene IMO. Someone buys a bracelet for £80k when there are people selling the Big issue around the corner. It's not just two different worlds but two different universes.
You are supposed to declare everything in your estate.
I agree it is obscene .
Jewellery will be fenced and broken up to sell .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
He bought his two daughters pads in London at about 50+ million a piece some years back .
The house is in a road where most of the other houses are embassies or owned by rich foreign royalty .
I have heard the name in relation to F1 but have never read about his family. I just switch off when I hear that vroom vroom on the telly usually on a Sunday when you want to chill out.

They are saying it's an inside job. Unsurprising as who else could get into such a fortress. It's the gates where Princess Diana used to drive out to go shopping etc. I do think gated complexes like this are obscene too. We shouldn't have private roads. Why do we have private roads for people who buy £50m worth of jewels and whose dads try to avoid a £1bn tax liability? Apparently that was incurred on gifting to the daughter etc. Ordinary souls have to worry about IHT rules but if you have enough wealth it seems you don't need to.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

16-12-2019, 11:44 PM

You are supposed to declare everything in your estate.
I agree it is obscene .
Jewellery will be fenced and broken up to sell .
But how would they know? Insurance records? I bet that there is a huge amount of physical wealth like this that is never declared to tax authorities.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 11:47 PM

They probably thought it was too, Muddy.
I believe it was said even one of the Royals have a property there.

I heard on the news tonight the her Father thought it was likely an 'inside job.'
I wondered the same.

Those Security guards on duty won't half have some questions to answer!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Oh, shaken but not stirred eh Puddleduck?
Donkeyman!
definitely not stirred ! Plenty more where that came from.

It all seems very odd..... she goes on holiday, on the same day 3 men go into an area and a house with top security, and her staff don't know ! The men know which room to find the safe (I assume it wasn't lying on the bed ) and they've gone in 50 mins.

All that springs to mind, is relating back to my in-laws, many years ago. They had an inventory done for insurance purposes , less than a month later they were burgled. Those responsible, knew the layout of the house, where to find the most expensive items, and the best way to enter and leave. The family were at home and the dog didn't bark. They knew where the dog slept, and went in from the other side of the building from across the fields at the back. It was only a 15th century cottage with a couple of extensions, so you can imagine how small.
Police reckoned they probably sprayed the dog with something to make it dopey and also that the items would have probably been out of the country by the time the police had been called in the morning.
So ,clearly professionals and maybe this job at Eccleston's is on similar lines.

She will be well insured, and the £ has gone up against the dollar and euro. ! Happy days ..
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 07:27 AM

I read that she posted a picture on social media of her little daughter boarding a private to go on holiday so the thieves knew they were not home.....so be careful what you post having said that thieves would be very disappointed at my house .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I read that she posted a picture on social media of her little daughter boarding a private to go on holiday so the thieves knew they were not home.....so be careful what you post having said that thieves would be very disappointed at my house .
Hi

When I go on Holiday the lodgers are still here.

I have absolutely no idea what £50 million of Jewellery would look like.

I am in no way in that League.

Steal my fishing tackle and start running, I will be your worst nightmare.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->

I agree with you Summer.
I heard she was posting on social media about going away too.
She might have well stuck a notice on her front window to let folks know!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top