Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 10:00 PM

Britain’s Opioid Crisis BBC2 9 o clock Thursday

Painkiller addiction
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 09:51 AM

Re: Britain’s Opioid Crisis BBC2 9 o clock Thursday

America also has an opioid crisis. In 2017, the most recent year available for a complete listing of deaths, 70,200 died of over dose deaths from opioids. In comparison, in all of the Viet Nam War 56,000 + Americans died.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 12:27 PM

Yes bakerman we were told that at the beginning of the programme .
I’m amazed that no one in over50’s site has come in here to comment because I’m pretty sure some members take at least the most innocuous OTC available one CoCodamol .
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 03:54 PM

I was prescribed cocodamol the other week when I had kidney stone problems (see the Medical thread). I took 6 out of the 100 prescribed; the rest are back in their now tightly resealed box waiting for my next visit to the pharmacist so I can dispose of them properly.
Zuleika
North West UK

17-01-2020, 06:38 PM

So at a maximum 8 in 24 hours you'd been given a weeks' supply .
I don't suppose that was an unreasonable amount for an acute condition .
Did you watch the programme?
Good to read you're the diligent kind of person who takes unwanted meds back to the pharmacy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2020, 11:02 PM

I find ibuprofen and codeine to be a fabulous medication. I'm not keen on co codamol. I've not been addicted to either. They are just great painkillers. The problem is when people are prescribed them for chronic pain. I think cannabis will be a good solution if they can ever get it up and running.
Zuleika
North West UK

18-01-2020, 12:02 PM

Codeine is an opiate tho Annie ? Ask yourself do you really need it ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2020, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Codeine is an opiate tho Annie ? Ask yourself do you really need it ?
I'm always getting sporting or other muscular injuries and it does seem to help me get much better Zuleika, but I only take it occasionally such as when I injured my hand recently. I find it takes the edge off pain in a way that ibuprofen alone does not. Ibuprofen is so fabulous at reducing inflammation. I never take co codamol though. It doesn't seem to work for me and just slows down digestion. There must be a difference in the interaction.

One thing I didn't know until recently is that the recommended amount of ibuprofen you can have in 24 hours is slightly lower than the amount of paracetamol.
Zuleika
North West UK

18-01-2020, 02:11 PM

Does your GP prescribe the codeine, I don’t think you can buy it OTC ?
The reason Co codamol doesn’t work for you is possibly because the strength of codeine in it isn’t as high as the codeine you say does work ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-01-2020, 03:57 PM

Ibuprofen with codeine and co codamol are available OTC. I would never take Codeine on it's own. The level of codeine in OTC meds is not high. It's 12.8mg in ibuprofen codeine generic OTC tablets. When I had severe headaches ten years ago I was prescribed Solpadeine by the GP I could not tolerate it. That has 30mg codeine phosphate per tablet combined with paracetamol.

I think it's unfairly getting a bad press because of prescribed high doses such as given to me by the GP. I can see that it's easy to get dependent if you are taking such a high dose for an extended period. But for short term use at a low dose in combination with ibuprofen it's excellent at helping to relieve acute pain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top