Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2015, 06:21 PM

Re: Transferring Unused Tax Allowance

I've had a bit of a set-back regarding this as the intern that told us to use the form on the website has got it wrong.

I so apologise but I was passing on what I thought was genuine info from an HMRC employee.

Just goes to show that incompetence is far more widespread that previously imagined. stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2015, 05:02 PM

Look at this website and register for transferring unused Personal Tax Allowances.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

stevmk2
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 08:29 AM

Today I have had an email from the government inviting me to apply for the 'Marriage Allowance' (I had registered for it some time ago) only to find out that it doesn't apply to couples where at least one of you was born before 6 April 1935. These people should apply for the 'Married Couples Allowance' which I already get. Here I was thinking I would be £212/year better off (My gin money !)
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2015, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Today I have had an email from the government inviting me to apply for the 'Marriage Allowance' (I had registered for it some time ago) only to find out that it doesn't apply to couples where at least one of you was born before 6 April 1935. These people should apply for the 'Married Couples Allowance' which I already get. Here I was thinking I would be £212/year better off (My gin money !)
Do you still get an age-related increase in allowance? That may explain their 'logic'.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 10:02 AM

I applied for Marriage Allowance transfer and was told you can only transfer to husband/partner if working and earning a wage. As I'm retired I was told I don't have an allowance to transfer. I have not read this anywhere on the HMRC website and wonder if anyone else has seen similar information.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I applied for Marriage Allowance transfer and was told you can only transfer to husband/partner if working and earning a wage. As I'm retired I was told I don't have an allowance to transfer. I have not read this anywhere on the HMRC website and wonder if anyone else has seen similar information.
That sounds odd, as everyone in the country has a tax-free allowance. Unless they are saying that the recipient of the transfer has to still be working, which might make more sense.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 05:48 PM

We didn't get as far as that orangutan, I gave my name and NI No and the lady from HMRC said I didn't qualify because I was retired. It was my 4th attempt to get through, holding on for half an hour each time, and I was a bit miffed to say the least when she told me that.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

22-05-2015, 09:05 AM

I can understand the bit about having to be working as they told me that.

It's still a bit mean though because, if I wasn't working and receiving State Pension I could still have to pay Tax on my BBC Pension.

We have now had TWO emails confirming that we are registered with HMRC, the second two days after the Election, and the first one said we'd be contacted within 14 weeks, and that was well before the election by several weeks.

All I did was pass on the info I got here and Yes, it is confusing but keep at it if you fill the criteria.

As I said, this was done online and there was no need for us to telephone them at all.

HMRC sent me the link in the first place! stevmk2
Val J
East Yorkshire

22-05-2015, 05:41 PM

Steve, I got an email about a week ago asking me to follow a link and apply on-line. This I did, but after answering all their questions I was told they couldn't verify my identify and I'd have to ring HMRC. After several attempts to get through I finally did which is when I was told that being retired I didn't qualify. If they'd made this clear I'd have saved a lot of time and stress !! I still can't find anything in writing which says you have to be working !!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

23-05-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Steve, I got an email about a week ago asking me to follow a link and apply on-line. This I did, but after answering all their questions I was told they couldn't verify my identify and I'd have to ring HMRC. After several attempts to get through I finally did which is when I was told that being retired I didn't qualify. If they'd made this clear I'd have saved a lot of time and stress !! I still can't find anything in writing which says you have to be working !!
I must admit it does seem unfair and isn't immediately obvious.

See this: -

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...etween-spouses

It does shed some light on grey areas but, as I said, I have been told that I qualify as my Gross earning are just over £10,600 this year.

stevmk2

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top