Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
billclay
west Yorkshire
billclay is male  billclay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Bank of Mum and Dad

Have you ever been asked to indulge your offspring with loans of gifts of money to help out. My son has a small business, he quite often is waiting for invoices to be paid and runs short of money to cover expenses, so we have to help out with loans, no such luxury for us as our parents were quite poor working class people, it seems kids today are perhaps living beyond their means, what do you think ?.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 11:05 AM

Re: Bank of Mum and Dad

Originally Posted by billclay ->
Have you ever been asked to indulge your offspring with loans of gifts of money to help out. My son has a small business, he quite often is waiting for invoices to be paid and runs short of money to cover expenses, so we have to help out with loans, no such luxury for us as our parents were quite poor working class people, it seems kids today are perhaps living beyond their means, what do you think ?.
It might be that he isn't managing his cash flow well enough.
Could he get some advice on that, perhaps?

Having said that, some customers can be notoriously bad at settling their invoices.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 11:09 AM

Hi

I am paying my son's medical bills.

I am happy to do so.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 11:48 AM

yes if one can afford to
When we had a business we asked for a non returnable deposit first. Maybe your son should do the same. Final payment in cash to stop cheques bouncing, learnt that very early on when we started out
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 11:54 AM

Absolutely nothing unusual about that ,billclay. I have, still do, and will continue to do so when they get into difficulties, which is getting to be annoying now.

As the balance depreciates, I have to think about my future years, so I'm pretending to be poor... sadly, it's still not working !

They went to university and that's when it started. There are loads of mum's and dad's in the same position.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:05 PM

I have lived beyond my means in the past but would never dream of asking my parents for money. I would rather go to debtors prison.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:15 PM

I never had kids .. and never regret it. It's one of the few things I've got right in Life.
Whilst I realise any parent would never be without their offspring I just never can figure out how you've afforded them .. especially when, as adults, they still cost you.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have lived beyond my means in the past but would never dream of asking my parents for money. I would rather go to debtors prison.
Hi

My son was attacked, no fault of his, developed epilepsy as a result.

He cannot work at present, so yes, I am fine about it.

I would only spend the money on flash holiday's and other things I do not need.

I am not going to be over the Inheritance Tax Threshold.

I object to 40% of my money going to some I know who have never worked.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I never had kids .. and never regret it. It's one of the few things I've got right in Life.
Whilst I realise any parent would never be without their offspring I just never can figure out how you've afforded them .. especially when, as adults, they still cost you.
Me neither Morty, I'm happy with with my pets.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Strange to think how back in our grandparents generation it was the norm that their children 'looked after them in old age' ... as my own Uncle did. He never left home and took care of his mum till the day she died.

How times change.
The shoe is on the other foot and the world is full of full-size grown up kids still been weaned by mum and dad.
Will they ever bail out their own kids in future years to come?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top