Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 18,921
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 01:27 PM
11

Re: Teachers working long hours

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
There is no doubt that there is an element of dissatisfaction among the teaching profession, but can you blame them?

Rather than spending time educating our youth about subjects in which they are interested and trying to impart a thirst for knowledge, teachers nowadays are expected to take on what used to be parental duties to those children whose family life is not what they deserve, looking out for their emotional welfare.

Not only teachers either - the School Nurse at our local secondary school goes into our feeder primaries to teach pupils how to brush their teeth!
Hi

I agree completely.

However we are where we are.

If it where not for the commitment of Rhian and others like her, we would be in a mess.
Reply With Quote
tarantula
Chatterbox
tarantula is offline
UK
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 9,374
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 01:48 PM
12

Re: Teachers working long hours

My husband worked long hours when a teacher, and extra long hours as a secondary school head teacher. He would leave for work about 7.30am and often wasn't back until about 11pm. He did work relating to his school during the holidays too.
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Senior Member
The Artful Todger is online now
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 3,845
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 02:18 PM
13

Re: Teachers working long hours

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
My husband worked long hours when a teacher, and extra long hours as a secondary school head teacher. He would leave for work about 7.30am and often wasn't back until about 11pm. He did work relating to his school during the holidays too.
Long hours?

Pfft.
Reply With Quote
Floydy
Chatterbox
Floydy is offline
Nowhere
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 14,197
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 03:04 PM
14

Re: Teachers working long hours

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
There is no doubt that there is an element of dissatisfaction among the teaching profession, but can you blame them?

Rather than spending time educating our youth about subjects in which they are interested and trying to impart a thirst for knowledge, teachers nowadays are expected to take on what used to be parental duties to those children whose family life is not what they deserve, looking out for their emotional welfare.

Not only teachers either - the School Nurse at our local secondary school goes into our feeder primaries to teach pupils how to brush their teeth!
It's about time parents went back to school then. Maybe there should be mandatory classes on parenting? Some obviously churn out kids by the dozen but have no idea how to bring them up correctly.
Yes, parents should be responsible for those activities, not schools. Why should a teacher make a kid brush its teeth? It's a parent's job.
If parents cannot look after their own children the kids should be taken off them and the parents be fed to pigs
Reply With Quote
Longdogs's Avatar
Longdogs
Chatterbox
Longdogs is online now
England
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 34,693
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 03:14 PM
15

Re: Teachers working long hours

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'd definitely like to hear Rhian's point of view, Tabby.
I don't think we are critising teachers, just thecway they complain about working long hours all the time. Many people in other trades work long hours too and just accept it. It pays the bills and they have a job.
I suppose we moan about the the things we know. I mean, I thought I had worked for some sh*tbag employers until I heard of your company Floydy.

I'm sure a lot of teachers don't know anything other than their own environment. To me, they sound like they are on a decent wage and that the holidays are more than acceptable. Having said that, I could never be a teacher, the little brats would wind me up too much and there's nothing I could do about it.
Reply With Quote
Floydy
Chatterbox
Floydy is offline
Nowhere
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 14,197
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 03:41 PM
16

Re: Teachers working long hours

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose we moan about the the things we know. I mean, I thought I had worked for some sh*tbag employers until I heard of your company Floydy.

I'm sure a lot of teachers don't know anything other than their own environment. To me, they sound like they are on a decent wage and that the holidays are more than acceptable. Having said that, I could never be a teacher, the little brats would wind me up to much and there's nothing I could do about it.
True mate, me the same. I have little patience with kids for more than an hour tops. I love my grandkids but they are murder sometimes.
Reply With Quote
Donkeyman
Senior Member
Donkeyman is offline
Melton,United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,278
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 04:17 PM
17

Re: Teachers working long hours

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
True mate, me the same. I have little patience with kids for more than an hour tops. I love my grandkids but they are murder sometimes.
You are speaking a lot of sense Floydy :teachers dont have
to expend physical energy for up to 12 hrs a day? Their
occupation only requires a little knowledge and their presence?
No sweat and determination to survive the next hour?
And 3 months off every year???
Dont make me laugh!

Regards Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
Floydy
Chatterbox
Floydy is offline
Nowhere
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 14,197
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 04:56 PM
18

Re: Teachers working long hours

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You are speaking a lot of sense Floydy :teachers dont have
to expend physical energy for up to 12 hrs a day? Their
occupation only requires a little knowledge and their presence?
No sweat and determination to survive the next hour?
And 3 months off every year???
Dont make me laugh!

Regards Donkeyman!
Good man but you only get 2/10 and a "see me" from Rhian when she finishes marking her homework because you still can't get your paragraphs right. Go and stand in the corner. You don't get your pint of milk today Donkeyman!
Reply With Quote
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Julie1962 is offline
Surrey
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 43,054
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 06:20 PM
19

Re: Teachers working long hours

Couple of teachers live in our block of flats nice chaps but they leave the flats about 8.50am and return about 5pm. Now I know they have some marking but they are often out drinking or for dinner week nights and both go campervaning at the weekends.

I don't doubt they work hard but they also have long holidays Christmas. Easter. Summer. And they both had a year off when they had their two sons.

It doesn't appear to me they are really VB that badly off when I see people off to work at 4am returning at 6pm getting 28 days holiday a year.
Reply With Quote
Muddy's Avatar
Muddy
Chatterbox
Muddy is online now
UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 25,293
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-09-2019, 09:38 AM
20

Re: Teachers working long hours

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
There is no doubt that there is an element of dissatisfaction among the teaching profession, but can you blame them?

Rather than spending time educating our youth about subjects in which they are interested and trying to impart a thirst for knowledge, teachers nowadays are expected to take on what used to be parental duties to those children whose family life is not what they deserve, looking out for their emotional welfare.

Not only teachers either - the School Nurse at our local secondary school goes into our feeder primaries to teach pupils how to brush their teeth!
Good post Tango
Asian teachers donít have to discipline the students and therefore can do their main jobs teaching .
In Japan I understand that the first two years are devoted to teaching the children good manners.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.