Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 09:51 AM

Re: Deer fights back

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 10:25 AM

Good news !
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Deer are a damn nuisance in my area they ruin the rain forest and the escarpments and are a big danger on the roads. They get into people's gardens at night, eat and trample their plants and shit everywhere (and you thought a neighbour's cat was a problem)

Because of the power of the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party until recently a land owner needed a permit to shoot them. Fortunately the NSW Government finally realised what a problem they are and they are now treated like any other pest specie such as pigs, foxes, feral dogs and cats.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...to-wollongong/
Who is responsible for introducing them to ozzie Brucy? And when
and why was it done?
How long have your present enviromental laws been in force?
I think they seem to be very strict, and rightly so imo, so the deer
must have been there for some time?

Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 08:53 PM

I hope Alexander's head has been hung on a wall.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Who is responsible for introducing them to ozzie Brucy? And when
and why was it done?
How long have your present enviromental laws been in force?
I think they seem to be very strict, and rightly so imo, so the deer
must have been there for some time?

Regards Donkeyman!
You're quite right Assman, the deer were introduced in the 19th Century (along with rabbits and foxes) by you sporting pommies for your shooting pleasure.

Deer were introduced into Australia from Europe in the 19th century as game animals. Deer are a major emerging pest problem, causing damage both to the natural environment and agricultural businesses. Populations are expanding and deer are invading new areas.

Feral deer can have major impacts in parks and reserves by:
  • destroying native vegetation by trampling plants, grazing, and ring-barking young trees
  • fouling waterholes
  • causing soil erosion
  • spreading weeds
  • potentially transmitting diseases such as foot-and-mouth disease.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...e-pest/8741434
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2019, 10:08 PM

Can't they trap some of the Stags, then castrate them Bruce, like they do other animals?
That would slow the birth rate down considerably, without killing them.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 04:22 AM

Thousands of kangaroos are killed every year too.For pet food and their skins.They are not an introduced species and are actually in pride of place on the Australian Coat of Arms.I wonder how many other countries would do that ?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Deer are getting more prevalent where I live...I was driving on the Cow and Calf road and a massive stag suddenly appeared right in front of me...he was gorgeous how anyone could kill him for so called sport is beyond me..I'm glad I was safe in my car though
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Can't they trap some of the Stags, then castrate them Bruce, like they do other animals?
That would slow the birth rate down considerably, without killing them.
No, you are talking about vast areas of wilderness and rainforest areas, not Wimbledon Common, it is hard enough to cull them - the right number of deer, as with rabbits, foxes, feral pigs and cats, is zero.

As an aside, Australia also has the largest population of wild camels in the world (over a million in 2008), again introduced in the 19th Century.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	170428 051 Nullarbor Roadhouse.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	10948  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

29-10-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Thousands of kangaroos are killed every year too.For pet food and their skins.They are not an introduced species and are actually in pride of place on the Australian Coat of Arms.I wonder how many other countries would do that ?
Bah ha ha... Do you think that might be because lions and unicorns are in short supply in the UK for example?

As far as I am aware there is no shortage of kangaroos and they taste delicious. They are not killed for pet food they are culled under licence because of overpopulation and the meat is used rather than wasted. Kangaroos are a protected species under Australian law and to kill, buy, sell or possess kangaroos is an offence.

There is plenty of meat available for pet food without killing kangaroos.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top