Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Re: When Reality Hits Home....

You did the right thing, if you are in any doubt then don't do it.

It sounded like it was a back street breeder anyway.

I was 56 when my last Goldie died and as much as I love the breed I didn't want to have to cope with such a big dog (or that coat that gets filthy as soon as it rains) as I got older so I got a Lab.....jeeeeeez, she's not as big but every bit as strong...and as mad as a box of frogs

I bought her from a back street breeder (Pre-loved advert) and have not regretted it, but maybe I was lucky.

There are foreign rescue organisations that bring dogs in from abroad and they don't seem to be quite as picky as the home grown ones, there are some cracking dogs round here that came from foreign rescue places. Most of these dogs are found as strays so they aren't rescues because of behavioural issues.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It’s true some rescues are condescending prat’s and gatekeepers manned by neurotic people who would rather see a dog spend its time in a cage than in a home .
However age is a consideration a pup can easily live until 12 years .
I got my dog from a rescue and he will probably outlive me .
My son will take him but it’s something to think about you are talking on a life .
Art you are wise to consider this .
Thank You, Muddy.
It would be good to think that my children would take in my dog if l became infirm or died. l don’t think that can be guaranteed when most younger people have a full time career these days.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Art, I have no idea how you live or how fit you are, but I think maybe you did the sensible thing in not going to see the puppies. It is easier to turn down a pup if you haven't seen him and held him!

When you said about the breeders advertising last year as well, it made me wonder how many bitches they had, or were they breeding the same bitch every year?
I am rusty now with the latest rules and regs, but if they are breeding the same girl, it used to be that the KC wouldn't let them register the litter, so if the pups had paperwork, it could possibly be false.
I knew someone who did this and issued false pedigrees and paperwork over and over again to unsuspecting buyers, because she knew she couldn't register them because she was over-breeding the poor mother.

Apart from that side of it, if you miss having the companionship of a dog, would you not consider one that was past the lively puppy stage, perhaps 3 or 4 years old?

There are good and bad rescues. Sounds like you chose bad ones before if they didn't vet their re-homers properly, or weren't honest with you about their temperaments.

I agree with Swim though about many turn down older people now.
This is a shame sometimes, as we are finished working and are at home all day, which a younger couple with jobs are not. We also haven't got young kids racing around pulling tails and poking eyes either!

The only problem I can see is if you want to go away a lot.
How did you manage that when you had your Poodle?

Thanks Mups,
Maybe it was a different bitch that had these puppies? I don’t know?
These puppies wouldn’t be KC registered as they would be classed as mixed breed.

I would consider a dog of perhaps up to 14 months. I wouldn’t take in an old dog as it may incur veterinary fees due to its old age. Yes, l understand a younger dog could have health issues too.

I don’t think we purposely chose bad rescues but with regard to the Flatcoat, we weren’t told until after, that he had been rehomed twice before we had him and returned.
With the Poodle it’s owners were going to live in America and she was returned to the breeder who asked if we would take her in.

With all my dogs, l never went away and put them in kennels. They always came with us on holiday. I was taken on a cruise once and my sister came from her home in Spain to look after my two dogs and hens.

It was easy, with my poodle to take him with me as l could pick him up and carry him onto the train. The same with stairs but I could not do that with a big dog.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I’m with the others here in saying you were wise with your decision making.
You feel you’d like another dog but that clearly wasn’t the right choice for you.
We’ve always had dogs and will have one for as long as we can. What we did was downsize the breeds. Now we have smaller dogs that are much easier to care for. A 9 pound and 20 pound dog. They are much easier to care for.
There are so many great small breed dogs that don’t need as much exercise as the larger ones. You are wise in your decision making. Owning a dog is a huge commitment and it’s in your best interest and the dogs to have a good match
Thank You, Brattie. You are right in everything you say in your post.
Whenever l have purchased a dog before, l have researched the breed thoroughly and even gone to dog shows to see exactly what l am looking for in the breed.

Some people breed dogs without doing any research into the line and that is irresponsible.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Art, I know you were heartbroken when your poodle died, but you were also relieved that you could go to places that your lovely pet had prevented you attending. Another dog would mean that there would still be restrictions on when & where you could go!

Most people think a pet will be good company for an older person, but they forget that they are also a responsibility... and that means more work for their owner.
I would never part with my late sister's cats and will always care for them, but I am well aware that they have created a lot more work.
I have also provided for them in my will & made sure they will be cared for if I go before them..... but I do think that looking after ourselves is hard work as we get older, so if I outlive these cats, there will be no more!
Twink, Yes, l was heartbroken when my Marty died, I think l loved him more than some people!
I do love the freedom l have now, as in the last year before he died, l spent most of my time in with him.
Although, l love the freedom, l miss having a dog but wonder if l am wanting to get one now, for all the wrong reasons?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 01:49 PM

If my two dogs die before me..I will never have any more.

You have thought it through and all that it entails....

I have had three dogs in the past....you are constantly working..walking,them,etc.

I want me time,later on in my life....I have given enough of myself to family,pets.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Ive been through the same thoughts Art . I had cavalier king charles a mum and daughter . They both died 15 years ago . Ive often wanted another but know i cant afford the insurances and bills . Also i would be more tied as i visit friends who would not want a dog .

You thought it through and made the right decision . I know how you feel
Thank You, Susan.
That is the thing also to think about. If they become ill and you have to find money to pay for their treatment. There is also the dog food. When l had the two dogs, l only fed them on Burns dog food that was nearly £50 a bag. I did find this paid off as they were rarely ill.

You are definitely tied and you have to think of them first in everything you do. Also always, having to rush back home to them within 3 or 4 hours.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thanks Mups,

With all my dogs, l never went away and put them in kennels. They always came with us on holiday. I was taken on a cruise once and my sister came from her home in Spain to look after my two dogs and hens.

It was easy, with my poodle to take him with me as l could pick him up and carry him onto the train. The same with stairs but I could not do that with a big dog

I can understand that last paragraph perfectly Art, and that is why I changed to a smaller breed after 30 or more years with my Shepherds.

When my last big boy collapsed in the kitchen I really struggled to get him into my car to get him to the vet quickly. I also had one collapse miles away across fields once, too.

These little ones would be so much easier in an emergency or if I was not so good myself any time.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
It's been 3weeks since I said goodbye to my Zak.The house is so empty.I have decided to get another dog.All the dogs I've had I've had since they were pups.I am thinking of giving a rescue dog a home.Will pluck up the courage next week to visit a dog's home.I do hope age will not be negative as I am still active and love going for walks.
rhosyn, l did feel for you when your Zak, died. It’s the worst time. I don’t think you ever really get over it.

It will be good to know how you got on p, if you visit the dog’s home. I hope you find a lovely dog there.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
As others have said, I think that you have made the right decision Artangel - even though it is a very sad one to have had to make. However, have you considered dog sitting for other people? There are agencies which run dog sitting services whereby you could take a dog into your home for the duration of its owner's absence. Many years ago, before we had our lovely cocker spaniel, we joined an agency to dog sit and found it really rewarding. We met the owners with their dogs prior to agreeing to take the dog - it was all run quite professionally and we had back-up should we need it plus all insurances were in place via the agency. It's just a thought but maybe worth considering?

Thank You, Margaret, My friends whose dogs died decided to take dogs into their homes whilst the owners went on holiday.
I thought this might be a good idea but l would be worried that the dog might get out and run away!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top