Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:41 PM

From scratch

A meal..or anything that requires cooking/baking..

From scratch for me every time....you just can not beat that taste.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Re: From scratch

Same here Pauline
I batch bake and freeze so the time spent in lengthy preparation isn't just for one meal.

I am just about to start making mincemeat for mince pies, the children have been nudging me for weeks.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=Meg;1810913]Same here Pauline
I batch bake and freeze so the time spent in lengthy preparation isn't just for one meal.

I am just about to start making mincemeat for mince pies, the children have been nudging me for weeks.[/QUOTE

Me too,Meg...I have just made x2 lemon drizzle loaves,should have been 4,but didn't have enough lemons..both cut up and in freezer.

It does help if you can cook Meg.....we are lucky that we can...I can not imagine my life,not being able to cook.

Mind you,on saying that,I'm not great at cooking curry...

Those mince pies you cook,must go down a treat with your family.

My elderly friend,has ordered scones,frangipani mince pies,..I make the pies in muffin tins...Nigella Lawson recipe...been making them for years.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
A meal..or anything that requires cooking/baking..

From scratch for me every time....you just can not beat that taste.
I agree - but then I love to cook.

One of my friends went on a Narrow Boat holiday and brought me back a lovely little plaque which reads "My Kitchen is my Happy Place" - most appropriate for me!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

03-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I agree - but then I love to cook.

One of my friends went on a Narrow Boat holiday and brought me back a lovely little plaque which reads "My Kitchen is my Happy Place" - most appropriate for me!

My friend,openly admits to not being able to cook..she has been on endless cookery courses....

Maybe it's a gift ST?....I started cooking as a child...with my mothers supervision ......she could cook....but not very adventurous in the kitchen.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 02:07 PM

I used to do a lot of baking when my kids were young and it took a long time for me to realise....I despise cooking/baking/food prep

I do wish I enjoyed it but even peeling spuds is a hated chore so my freezer's full of frozen veg, frozen pies, frozen anything that will save me prepping or cooking.

I'd rather be decorating
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

03-11-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I used to do a lot of baking when my kids were young and it took a long time for me to realise....I despise cooking/baking/food prep

I do wish I enjoyed it but even peeling spuds is a hated chore so my freezer's full of frozen veg, frozen pies, frozen anything that will save me prepping or cooking.

I'd rather be decorating

Yes,I can understand that,Nicol....prepping gets on my nerves..especially grating those lemons...but I think of the end result.

We're all different aren't we.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 01:18 AM

I saw this thread and thought, yes I do like to cook everything from scratch. But then I started thinking too much about it and realised there is a limit to what from scratch means. Because we don't make many "ingredients"ourselves. So say if you add cheese to a dish, well that's a processed food, tabasco sauce in fajita, cheesecake bases made with ground digestive biscuits, pad thai with shop brought noodles.

If you ever watch "come dine with me" some guests make a big deal about how they make their own mayonnaise or pesto or stock.

Has anyone here ever made their own filo pastry?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

If you ever watch "come dine with me" some guests make a big deal about how they make their own mayonnaise or pesto or stock.
I make my own - but don't see it as a big deal - it is very easy. I make my own pasta and noodles as well.

Has anyone here ever made their own filo pastry?
Yes - I do. I love filo - it is so versatile.

I do like to know what I am cooking/eating but take your point about some ingredients - especially using biscuits as bases for things. Check the ingredients - buy the best.

I use a lot of cheese - but buy it fresh from a cheesemonger - never from a supermarket where it is either prepacked in plastic or wrapped in cling film (shudders) neither of which should be allowed anywhere near cheese!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 08:21 AM

Hi

I make my own pasta and noodles.

I cook put do not bake.

There are certain things that I buy, some curry pastes, just too expensive to make them

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top