Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Re: What was your most memorable christmas.

Originally Posted by Cass ->
As a family we have been through ups and downs , money problems and unemployment but the worst Christmas for me was as a child when mum thought she was doing the right thing by accepting the invitation from our aunt to stay at theirs.
Auntie had a nice house and lots of money, posh tree and decorations and very fancy food but...
The woman was like Mrs Bucket and she made the whole time miserable, sweets were rationed as was TV we were treated like victorian children seen but not heard. Then Auntie picked on dad and rather than ruining Christmas he made the excuse that he had to work kissed us all goodbye and left.
I suppose he spent Christmas day at home alone and without any of the trimmings because mum hadnt got anything in.
I have never forgiven her for her mean behaviour.

Horrendous

Best Christmasses have been those spent with family and having the boxing day open house we always held. People would just turn up to eat and chat anyone who didnt have a family or friends to celebrate with.. Anything up to 20 people celebrating Christmas in our living room, Christmas came alive on those days..
That's better
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 12:22 PM

I really envy someone having Christmases like that to look back on. I was happy with my Christmases as a child, but they were mostly quiet.

But just not as quiet as they are now. !
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 12:27 PM

I don't really remember much of any Christmas. I hated it when it was on a Sunday and I got dragged screaming and kicking to church. Perhaps the most memorable one for the right reasons was when I received a huge 'Meccano' set. Now there's a real gift for a budding engineer.

I suppose now it would have to be a 10G Thick phone with the power of a supercomputer and an 'app' to tell you how to sue your parents if it's not the top-of-the-range model. Oh I am cynical.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 12:44 PM

I also have some ups and downs for my Christmas Day. I
feel sorry for some of the people I have just read about.

I loved Crhistmas when a child. We had nowt much but it
was all Mum and Dad could afford. I loved my hair being put
in ringlets with rags. You youngs ones probably wont know what
that means.
We had a tin bath in front of the coal fire. Then took our pillow
case to bed. My sister was 3 years younger than me and we would
wake up cold about 5am. Go to the bottom of the bed and feel
what was in the case. Normally, a apple, a orange, a Beano Annual
for me and a Dandy Annual for my sis. Some sweets and one
year I had a watch as well. That was a shock as well as a happy event.
We then had some roast meat for dinner and even had a chicken one
year yippee.
My Mum used to buy some figs and dates in a long packet. We also
used to be given a sip of sherry that my Dad bought my Mum.
One year it snowed and it was fab to look out of the window and
see it falling to about 3 foot that year.

In 1979 I had the honour to give birth to a Son at 1.11am 25th
December and was the first birth in Yorkshire and the second in
the Country.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 01:50 PM

We were so easily pleased and grateful - loverly
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 03:34 PM

One Christmas comes to mind,I had already created `Animalia` for Jenny. One year(late 80s I think) I took some of the animals(soft toys) on a shopping trip. They had their photos taken and the local train stop,more as they shopped and finally back home. Then the wrapping-now soft toys are not good at this-sticky tape all over them but finally all presents were wrapped. I converted all the photos into a slide show and that Christmas Eve I gave jenny a show with full narrative.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 03:44 PM

I remember when my boys were small and they were "into" Ghostbusters and I was a single parent with little money and went to a car boot sale and managed to pick up a ton of relatively "new" Ghostbusters equipment..the whole lot for not much...their little faces when they opened their gifts on Christmas day...was a picture!!!
They had a brilliant time all xmas playing Ghostbusters and sliming stuff..lol
You dont need bags of money for a good time just an imagination..and time with your kids ,simple things can make all the difference.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=mariana;742643]
Originally Posted by Honey ->
My happiest Christmas was when I was young, 8 or 9, we were quite poor and mum struggled to make ends meet so I didn't expect anything more than fruit and nuts in a stocking but a wonderful surprise was hiding under the tree, a Monopoly game! I was over the moon![/QUOTe

Sometimes it takes such a little to make us happy---but this story reminds me of my friends daughter, aged about 9, was given a catalogue and asked to choose what she wanted---"Everything " was the reply. !!.
My ex SIL would do this for her two spoilt brat kids too....give them a catalogue and they wrote down exactly what they wanted ..always a huge list which they always got everything on it. How some kids are spoilt is disgusting ....all the more disgusting when she couldnt even buy two annuals for my sons after asking what they would like for xmas.
Beggars belief!!! Some people are just so thoughtless
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I don't really remember much of any Christmas. I hated it when it was on a Sunday and I got dragged screaming and kicking to church. Perhaps the most memorable one for the right reasons was when I received a huge 'Meccano' set. Now there's a real gift for a budding engineer.

I suppose now it would have to be a 10G Thick phone with the power of a supercomputer and an 'app' to tell you how to sue your parents if it's not the top-of-the-range model. Oh I am cynical.
Very true George...

P.S. I didn't realise it was you with the new avatar!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 02:05 AM

Hmmm .. it seems to me that many of us have unhappy memories and I sympathise with you all ...

Childhood memories of Christmas are now very much the same. Excitement leading up to Christmas Day, a slight anticlimax I guess when Father Christmas had 'been' lol possibly followed by exhaustion !

More recently, I tend to associate that time with illness and death.
An old family friend (with whom I'd been corresponding) became ill and died in the early 1990s.

Just before Christmas 1994 my father died, nine years after a heart transplant, and a few days later(Christmas day) my favourite uncle had a stroke.

His (and Mum's) older sister died suddenly a week later !

21st Dec (four years ago this year) my husband died.

What will this year bring ?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top