Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Unions

What are they playing at just now ? . . we have an impending strike at BA and now the rail workers have voted to strike too, . . do they have a death wish for this government ? . . just weeks before a general election you'd think they would have more sense and bide their time, . . Cameron must think it's his birthday, . . the UK is plagued by incompetence at the highest levels, even in the unions.

Rail Network say they wish to make 1,500 track maintenance workers redundant, . . the union says these workers are vital to rail safety, . . the rail company hit back saying the rest of the workforce not being paid off would cover the jobs on overtime and at weekends, . . redundancy guidelines state quite clearly that it's the job that's made redundant and not the worker.

The CEO of BA is a piece of work aint he, . . he's as bad a tyrant than "fred the shred" was two years ago at the Royal Bank, . . I wonder how much of a stipend he gets a month ?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Re: Unions

[QUOTE=nero;

The CEO of BA is a piece of work aint he, . . he's as bad a tyrant than "fred the shred" was two years ago at the Royal Bank, . . [/QUOTE]

Is he ??? in what way.

Offered a deal two weeks ago, union turned it down, Then BA spent tens of millions to hire other airlines to accommodate their passengers, Unions came back and said we accept your deal, to late said BA we have laid out to much money.

Union scum then blame it all on a "piece of work"

Stupid Union any way 2 Chief Execs(2 unions amalgamated) not talking to each other, one trying to do out the other.

One good point is that Gordon Brown backed BA.

Think Easy Jet Atlantic and Ryan Air are rubbing their hands together.

On the RGT.... CROW is as bad as SCARGIL shame they do not go and live in Russia.....O sorry Russia has got rid of that way of thinking.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Oh dear, . . you've taken my post as a pro-union one galty, . . this was not my intention, . . I was only ever involved in one strike in my life and that was in the 80's when for the first time in history the building trades came out on strike, . . it went on for weeks all due to the witch Thatcher, . . this was after she decimated the mining industry in the UK.

I agree with your comments on scargill and some of the others but this is a different era today, . . note I said incompetence in unions in the OP.

At the time of posting the OP talks were going on to resolve the dispute with BA, . . those talks have just broken down, . . the comment I made about BA's CEO was because he gives me and others, including the media, the impression he is a tyrant, . . he needs a course in public relations IMO.
nero
Central Scotland

19-03-2010, 05:44 PM

The offer that was on the table 10 days ago from BA was removed, . . a new offer was put on the table today which was worse than the original offer, . . this was unacceptable to Unison, . . according to the union they were prepared to accept the original offer but BA's CEO refused to put the offer back on the table, . . I cannot understand this attitude, . . he had already made that offer so why is he being so obstructive, . . this strike could've been avoided IMO.

Any other OFFers from here will be taken into consideration, . . I'm just glad I aint booked a flight to go anywhere.
nero
Central Scotland

20-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Been keeping an interested eye on this today, . . I noticed that workers giving interviews to the cameras always have their faces hidden, this is in fear of being victimised by you know who, . . this says a lot about the CEO, . . he's definitely on the corporate ladder trying to look tough in the hope of other companies offering him another job with more cash.

Seemingly he was gaffer of an Irish airline prior to BA and he had quite a reputation there too by all accounts.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
The offer that was on the table 10 days ago from BA was removed, . . a new offer was put on the table today which was worse than the original offer, . . this was unacceptable to Unison, . . according to the union they were prepared to accept the original offer but BA's CEO refused to put the offer back on the table, . . I cannot understand this attitude, . . he had already made that offer so why is he being so obstructive,
Maybe the CEO of BA doesn't want a settlement. Maybe he is playing the long game - Make Brown look bad (worse) equals more support for Cameron.

The same could be a possibility for the Network Rail dispute.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Listerned to the Union rep to day over the deal BA proposed.

They side stepped saying will will put it to are members.

The date of the strike approached and no response by the union, So BA spent millions in contracting out to other airlines.

BA then withdrew their offer.
nero
Central Scotland

22-03-2010, 12:22 PM

A strike wins nothing for any parties involved IMO, . . this could and should be resolved as soon as possible, . . the union suggested they bring in the board of directors, . . this could maybe end the deadlock, . . I think we have a duel going on between the union and this CEO.

PS : A disturbing development was revealed at the weekend, . . some American airline staff are saying they will take industrial action against BA, . . . . I hope not, all this would be manner from heaven for the Tories here.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 01:05 PM

My sympathies would normally be with the unions, but I think on this occasion, both parties are locked in a ridiculous suicidal struggle with no discernable winners. Willie Walsh is another Adam Crozier - more intent on exercising power than working for the long term benefit of the organisation he ostensibly leads. By alienating his workforce beyond belief, Walsh is ensuring years of industrial unrest within BA.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

22-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->

PS : A disturbing development was revealed at the weekend, . . some American airline staff are saying they will take industrial action against BA, . . . . I hope not, all this would be manner from heaven for the Tories here.

From what I read its the Teamsters Union that are offering backing to the strike, certain aspects of the American air system are barred by law from striking

Teamsters Union led by Jimmy Hoffa`s(killed by the mob) son.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top