Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Family Tree

My brother (with a little help from me) is researching our family tree. Don't know if it is of interest to anyone other than us, but here are a couple of photos of my great great grandparents. http://www.over50sforum.com/album.php?albumid=82

We have got back to 1555 on one branch of the family. They came from Fewston in Yorkshire (I currently live in Yorkshire) but other branches of the family came from Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Gloucestershire and I suspect they started to move here when the coal industry became a large employer in Yorkshire. Certainly the Derbyshire branch of the family were lead miners (as listed on the census documents we reviewed).

This is a fabulous way to spend your free time and I wondered if any other members do it.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2010, 07:09 PM

Re: Family Tree

I love looking at pictures yesteryear - sometimes I think it would be nice to travel back in time to see what our families were doing and what the world was like in general. Future generations are lucky that so much is documented now.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I love looking at pictures yesteryear - sometimes I think it would be nice to travel back in time to see what our families were doing and what the world was like in general. Future generations are lucky that so much is documented now.
I agree about future generations being lucky Azz. I too am fascinated by old photographs. I think the ones of family are even more precious because you look for family 'traits' etc that link you with the picture and the past. It is a shame that they are so rare (in my family at least)
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

09-04-2010, 07:25 PM

And if you like old pictures Azz - look at http://www.gridenko.com/pg/index.htm they are pictures of Russia from over 100 years ago. Search for his name on google and you will find more of his work
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2010, 08:27 PM

I have been researching my family tree too. Its amazing how far flung families are. Mine are the length and breadth of the country including the Channel Isles.

There are some old pictures in another thread somewhere, I can't remember where though!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2010, 10:46 PM

I've tried some of the geneology sites without much success, as I don't know enough about the family history to really do much. When I was young I wasn't interested in "that old stuff" and now everyone is dead who would know. I do know my paternal ancestors came from Burton-on-Trent.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2010, 10:56 AM

A cousin of mine has spent years on `our` family. Seems some close to my blood line were alcoholics and gamblers-nothing changes.

Another was whipped for petty pilfering. If there was a fortune somewhere nobody told me
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2010, 04:42 PM

I suppose most of us have blackguards and other disreputable people in our lineage, human nature being what it is!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I've tried some of the geneology sites without much success, as I don't know enough about the family history to really do much. When I was young I wasn't interested in "that old stuff" and now everyone is dead who would know. I do know my paternal ancestors came from Burton-on-Trent.
If any of us can help DM just let us know. I have a subscription to Ancestry.

My great grandfather was in prison when the 1901 census took place, I have tried to find out why but the records haven't been kept. Probably drunk and disorderly.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK

12-04-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Here too - I could have a look for you on my brother's subscription (we share it). If you have any details that you would be willing to share, I would have a look on the census documents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top