Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2010, 08:29 PM

Re: Family Tree

Thank you, PPH and moetmum. I really have very little information, don't know when they emigrated or to which port. My Dad was Howard W. Meakin born in Worcester, MA in 1897; his father was Dennis Meakin, don't know if he was born here or an immigrant. With so little info I really didn't know where to start. I wouldn't want to put you to any trouble, though......
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2010, 06:39 PM

Is MA short for Massachusetts?
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2010, 06:42 PM

Ooops - you need worldwide membership to look at the records. My brother only has UK membership
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
Ooops - you need worldwide membership to look at the records. My brother only has UK membership

Me too, but I did find something last night but couldn't look at the record. Tonight I couldn't get it to come up again, it was a census record.

I have found on the LDS

Howard W Meakin born 15 April 1897

Father: Dennis H Meakin

Mother: Katherine Regan

I then found

Marriage of

Dennis H Mekin (father Thomas S, mother Hannah)

to

Katherine Reagan (Father James, mother Bridget)

25 April 1892, Milbury, Worcester, MA

You can see these records for free DM, I found a lot of Meakins on free bmd Burton upon Trent too.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Oh wow, thank you so much, moetmum! Yes, that's my grandfather and grandmother; didn't know great grandfathers name was Thomas! That's moved me a step backwards...good! Did you find that in the Census?

Yes, MA is Massachussetts, PPH, sorry!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Oh wow, thank you so much, moetmum! Yes, that's my grandfather and grandmother; didn't know great grandfathers name was Thomas! That's moved me a step backwards...good! Did you find that in the Census?

Yes, MA is Massachussetts, PPH, sorry!
I found that information on the family search records, they are IGI records. If you go to the church of the latter day saints site and choose genealogy or family search (can't remember what it actually says now) you can type in the names and it comes up with matches.

I have found them on the ancestry site (I turned off search UK records only ), it allows you to see individuals, names and location, but not as a family unless you pay. You can do pay per view, it will show the whole family entry so you can see it is the right family. In the UK it shows where and when they were born address and occupation. You might find immigration year too if applicable. Dennis, Howard and Katherine are all individually listed in the 1900 census at Worcester MA.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

13-04-2010, 10:13 PM

What's "free bmd" on Burton-on-Trent? Thanks so much again for that. Do you know if there were other East coast entry ports other than Ellis Island? I have Providence, Rhode Island somewhere inn my memory .......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
What's "free bmd" on Burton-on-Trent? Thanks so much again for that. Do you know if there were other East coast entry ports other than Ellis Island? I have Providence, Rhode Island somewhere inn my memory .......
I may be wrong Eileen but I assume "bmd" stands for Births, Marriages & Deaths.....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

13-04-2010, 11:00 PM

D'oh! How obvious, thanks, Mags!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2010, 08:14 AM

I use it a lot.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top