Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Swallow Day

Nothing to do with taking medication, 16 April is the traditional day for the return of the swallows. I've been walking round with my nose in the air but havn't spotted any. Went to Mum's yesterday and she's not seen them either but my sister saw a pair over the Somerset Levels.

OK - it's a contest - with no prizes - for the first swallow-spotter
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Re: Swallow Day

Oh didn't know that. Must watch out for them up the braes - there are a lot flying around the farmers fields up there! Or at the RSPB Nature Reserve where I will be going later today!

Thanks for that Hope you see loads of them
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 11:29 AM

I know exactly where to go DM, . . . the restaurant in Kilmahog, Perthshire, . . swarms of them nest in the eaves every year, . . there are two rivers flowing past the large building and the birds feast on the insects.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 12:24 PM

I find them swooping down over the muck heaps on the farm, must go and see if any are there.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 05:18 PM

Hope someone will take some pics if they see em
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 09:57 PM

I never see them here in the neighborhood, they tend to hang out down by the Potomac River where they nest under the bridges.
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2010, 03:53 AM

No swallows here yet - but the starlings and the wagtails are already here - which is kind of early. I love birds and in wintertime we have 15-20 species feeding from the sunflower seeds we give them.

My daughter live in Spain and in her town there are thousands of swallows - it's just so lovely sitting in the dark and listen to their calls and just knowing they are up there.

But when we are talking about birds - my most astonishing experience was when visiting my daughter I spotted 18 eagles circling the town. I could not really believe my eyes - it started with a couple and then more and more came from all directions. We do have eagles here too, but I'm really happy if I spot one.

Also spotting the storks was a great event in Spain - we don't have them in Norway - so seeing them and their nests with baby-storks was just unforgettable.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2010, 06:33 AM

Not seen any but will keep a look out on my dog walks, there is usually some by the brook in summer.
buddi bo
lincs
buddi bo is female  buddi bo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2010, 10:39 PM

We have some swallows here in lincs ,
Going into the same barn as other years ,
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by anna ->
No swallows here yet - but the starlings and the wagtails are already here - which is kind of early. I love birds and in wintertime we have 15-20 species feeding from the sunflower seeds we give them.
You can keep the Starlings Anna, . . . they come over here every winter from your part of the world and are a nightmare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top