Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 05:10 PM

Re: Travel Insurance for Existing Medical Conditions.

Hi Val, I know, I wish Insurance Companies would not use abbreviated letters such as ICU. Codgers like me are certainly not ofay with this lingo !! lol.

I have made a note of every insurance company mentioned on here and the links mentioned and will certainly try quotes off them. I did find one that would cover me but it seems that question about oxygen other than in hospital loads the cost against me or am declined, So unfair when I never used it.
This one wants £500 excess on medical, curtailment and cancellation of holiday.

Oh well, there is always my health card with ordinary travel insurance not covering medical condition. Prefer not to and will keep trying. will let you know how I get on xx
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 05:28 PM

Just a thought regarding the EHIC card. I think they last five years so remember to renew them, not sure if they send out reminders.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 02:02 PM

Thanks for advice. pretty sure I am okay because only issued it last year when went on holiday.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

28-01-2016, 03:36 PM

HOORAH !!
After spending literally hours searching fruitlessly for all the main travel insurance companies to cover me for COPD and Pulmonary Embolism, in which I was quoted either horrendous figures of £800 to over £1200 or in several instances, completely declined !! I finally found a brilliant insurance company rated with 5 stars where the questions were so simply put and the trick question that previously stopped me from getting the insurance reworded. I.E.

Have you ever used Oxygen other than when in Hospital>

was put as

Do you ever have need of Oxygen during the night?

I could at last put in black and white - NO!

I was quoted for the ordinary travel insurance first, then the medical screening for existing conditions, it was so simple to fill in. Final cost to me to cover both conditions? = £80.00

NAME OF INSURER - WORLD FIRST.

I certainly recommend them.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 05:55 PM

That sounds brilliant SG. I've bookmarked the company for when mine's due again in October.

Enjoy your holiday.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 10:55 PM

Noted. I'll get a quote from them for Spain at the end of April ...
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2016, 11:40 PM

Word of caution about EHIC cards. Although EU countries should accept them, many do not. EHIC will cover basic medical care only. It will not cover food, maybe sheets and will certainly not cover repatriation.

To be honest, at its absolute best, EHIC is just a emergency cover only, it is not full medical insurance - which you really need to have, read all exclusions and detail any/all medical conditions.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 04:54 PM

In Majorca last year a lady was telling us she had to pay about 80 euros to get her ears syringed out there as they were hurting. They wouldn't accept the EHIC card and she said it wasn't worth claiming on her insurance because she paid close to that in excess.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

06-02-2016, 05:18 PM

Flowerpower, that seems totally unfair.

To be honest, your episode is not the first that I have heard about where Spain refused to accept the health card and demanded payment when they should not have done.
It makes me so annoyed when one sees what the Spanish as well as every other person in the world it seems, receives medical treatment for illness or accident absolutely free of charge from our own NHS.

It also makes me wonder how many Spaniards cross over the border into Gibraltar in order to be treated for free yet when we need treatment in their country they refuse point blank without payment when they should not be doing any such thing.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Hi

Well when we leave the EU there won't be any EHIC, so no problem, just have to pay for insurance whenever you go across the Channel.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top