Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:08 PM

Re: I Might Buy A Soup Maker!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm curious why it tasted different LQ I put same ingredients in the soup maker as I do in a saucepan,
This is explained earlier in the thread.

If you;re making soup properly then the first thing you do is fry off any onions and vegetables which creates the deepr caramelised flavours. For example for parsnip soup you might first fry off (saute) some onions, garlic, celery and some spices.

If I make butternut squash soup then I first fry off onions, garlic, celery, potatoes and the squash so it's a little browned.

I'm guessing all you're doing with the machine is just boiling veg in water which is quite a bland way of cooking TBH.

It's all about the flavour and in soups that comes from the sauteing the ingredients.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This is explained earlier in the thread.

If you;re making soup properly then the first thing you do is fry off any onions and vegetables which creates the deepr caramelised flavours. For example for parsnip soup you might first fry off (saute) some onions, garlic, celery and some spices.

If I make butternut squash soup then I first fry off onions, garlic, celery, potatoes and the squash so it's a little browned.

I'm guessing all you're doing with the machine is just boiling veg in water which is quite a bland way of cooking TBH.

It's all about the flavour and in soups that comes from the sauteing the ingredients.
Realist, The soup maker, l bought and took back came with a sauté option. l agree, it’s the sautéing that gives the soup the flavour.
Do you ever use a pressure cooker to make your soups? They are ready in 15-20 minutes and all the goodness is kept inside whilst it’s cooking the food.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
A highly elaborate thread when all you need is this.
Packet of soup. Kettle. Mug. 2 minutes flat. Job's a good 'un.
Floydy, l am surprised that you would eat packets of manufactured chemical soup! I thought you were a stickler for healthy living?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

25-08-2019, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just coming back to this thread and I have after our whizzer we used to do soup broken decided to buy a soup maker rather than a new whizzer. Similar price we found for each.

Anyway I have the morphy richards which does make enough soup for 4, washes up easily and TBH we are eating soup several times a week because it's so easy to do.

The only drawback is you cannot add to the soup once it's on. But we seem to be managing to adapt recipes so everything goes in at the beginning.

If you want to add meat which we never do it has to be precooked before adding. That might be a problem for some people.
I am pleased, you’re pleased with your soup maker.and especially, if it is more convenient for you.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

25-08-2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I bought one and used it once , it's been stuck in my cupboard ever since. I make gorgeous soups the traditional way and they taste much better than in that soup maker. I should open a soup kitchen, I d call it Souper Bev's ! I really should my soups are the best so my dad tells me!
LQ, You could bring some of your homemade soup to realspeed’s when we go there for a sleepover. A midnight feast with a difference!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
LQ, You could bring some of your homemade soup to realspeed’s when we go there for a sleepover. A midnight feast with a difference!
If I promise to make some scrumptious soda bread - may I come too?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
If I promise to make some scrumptious soda bread - may I come too?
Ok you twisted my arm. There were 5 in the bed and the little one said Roll over, roll over,.. .. then we all kicked realspeed outta bed haha

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top