Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2011, 07:12 AM

Re: Move or Stay

Originally Posted by Topaz ->
You missed the Palestinian part
Topaz darlin' I didn't forget, I merely omitted it for simplicity's sake. The argument is still valid with or without that detail.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2011, 05:02 PM

May Day only became an official bank holiday in 1971, associated strongly with International Workers' Rights day, which some think has marked it out as a political target.

But its roots as a holiday stretch back to pre-Christian pagan festivals, and the Gaelic Beltane. The familiar rituals of dancing around the Maypole and the crowning of the May Queen made it a popular seasonal celebration in medieval England.

"May Day is associated with spring and fertility, the sowing of the seeds. It is a rural tradition," says Julie-Marie Strange, senior lecturer in Victorian Studies at the University of Manchester. stevmk2
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

04-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Annie darlin' - this patron saint mularkey was something foisted on us by the catholic church - do we REALLY want to celebrate a Romano-Turkish reprobate centurion who knew nothing of and certainly never visited these shores.
Originally Posted by Topaz ->
You missed the Palestinian part
Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Topaz darlin' I didn't forget, I merely omitted it for simplicity's sake. The argument is still valid with or without that detail.

Simplicity ?

Why mention the " Romano-Turkish " , bit then ?
Surely saying " do we REALLY want to celebrate a reprobate centurion who knew nothing of and certainly never visited these shores." , would have sufficed if simplicty was the objective , no ?

Also , what evidence do you have to support your claim / accusation that he was a " reprobate " or a " Centurion " ?

As far as i`m aware he applied for , and held the rank of " Tribunus " ( Military Tribune ) , and was certainly not a morally unprincipled person , the reverse in fact seems to be true !
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

05-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Waiting .......................
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

09-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top