Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

02-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Re: Indoctrination

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
I think it depends if you were at a church school, regarding reciting the scriptures and I also think there is no harm in this. There were rules you had to abide by and you knew where you were.A sort of safe feeling for a child, wether Catholic or Protestant.
As for the football team well my Dad was a city supporter and I was a Manu.... so plenry of discussions there!
Reciting the scriptures within the confines of their church or chapel is fine Annie and i have no issue with that at all.

The boundary has been crossed when the child is told to knock at a strangers door and recite parrot fashion long tracts of something she or he has no comprehension of.

As I said I have no idea if this is a local recruitment drive or a national one and it does seem to be restricted to the Witnesses.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Reciting the scriptures within the confines of their church or chapel is fine Annie and i have no issue with that at all.

The boundary has been crossed when the child is told to knock at a strangers door and recite parrot fashion long tracts of something she or he has no comprehension of.

As I said I have no idea if this is a local recruitment drive or a national one and it does seem to be restricted to the Witnesses.
As a kid didn't you have religion crammed down your throat at school assemblies and then Religious study lessons. Is that not indoctrination or brain washing??? - what's the difference between JWs and CE or Catholic??? All spout the same thing - that if you don't behave and conform to their standards you'll roast in hell. Come join me and we'll stoke the fires together
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
As a kid didn't you have religion crammed down your throat at school assemblies and then Religious study lessons. Is that not indoctrination or brain washing??? - what's the difference between JWs and CE or Catholic??? All spout the same thing - that if you don't behave and conform to their standards you'll roast in hell. Come join me and we'll stoke the fires together
No Joe, I did not have any sort of religion forced upon me.
It was there if I wanted to know about it, which I did as it was all part of learning. What I did with the information thereafter was up to me.

As a youngster I sure as hell would never have been asked or told to go round anyones home and try and convert them.
It was unheard of and in any event my only reward would have been a right hander.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 01:08 PM

You can call any system indoctrination, ie, football, Mathematics, languages, religion, healthy eating etc, but to actually teach your kids anarchy as the unions, teachers, parents etc are doing by taking kids on protest marches must be the lowest form.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Maybe some of the protestors could not find a child minder, just a thought.
When I was a youngster at School everything was rammed down your throat, especially Religion. I could recite the ten commandants and the seven deadly sins at six years of age and say (very clearly) 'Immaculate conception', without having the slightest idea of what they meant. Now if that ain't brainwashing, what is?.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 06:08 PM

If I remember rightly, when it was morning assembly time the Roman Catholic children could be excluded if they wanted to be.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
If I remember rightly, when it was morning assembly time the Roman Catholic children could be excluded if they wanted to be.
I remember that too, Mary! Any Roman Catholic children always stayed back in the classroom during morning assembly.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 07:26 AM

All different denominations were excluded - we had a few jewish kids in our school and I too excluded myself as I am (and have been from an early age) an Atheist!!!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
All different denominations were excluded - we had a few jewish kids in our school and I too excluded myself as I am (and have been from an early age) an Atheist!!!
Joe, I have always wondered about Atheist, do the attend memorial services and if so to whom do they pray?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

06-07-2011, 12:21 PM

When my Mother died 3 months ago I attended the funeral service (as I have also attended other funerals of various other members of my family and friends) but took no part in the ceremony - and NO I do NOT pray, since I do NOT believe in a supreme being.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top