Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 07:19 AM

Question

We all go on about the political system in our country, Should it be Labour,Tory's, Liberals, Coalition, Left or right wing etc. and we decry each whenever they are in power, so what do you want?

What would make you say, 'I like that' and give up decrying whoever is in power?

I do not like Labour who I voted for for years, but never will again, I dont care for Tory although they create wealth and money makes the world go round, Liberalism is to liberal for me and they only do what makes them popular, The Left wing lot I detest as they are the most self centered hypocrits the world has to endure and the right wing lot see only egotism, so for me I would love to see a Coalition government of equal party status that looks first to the country's needs and future rather than party ego's.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Re: Question

Is'nt there a coalition in power at the moment?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 09:58 AM

What's that AB, a coalition of equals, made up of politicians who care more for their country than themselves or their party? I doubt any such creature exists these days. There are no statesmen left with passion and integrity, just state employees with an eye for the main chance and who look on politics as a top earning career. Your vision is Utopian, but that's all it can ever be..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
What's that AB, a coalition of equals, made up of politicians who care more for their country than themselves or their party? I doubt any such creature exists these days. There are no statesmen left with passion and integrity, just state employees with an eye for the main chance and who look on politics as a top earning career. Your vision is Utopian, but that's all it can ever be..
Unfortunately that just about sums it up for me Barry .

So what to do to make the best of a bad lot,
-Changes to be made by the boundry commission to produce areas of similar population numbers,
-A lot fewer MPs,
-Some form of proportional representation.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-07-2011, 11:57 PM

People in our country seem to have had enough with politics in general and politicians in particular.

Is anyone really surprised that people are just sick of it all.
A small snapshot of relatively recent times reveals that we have had all the lies surrounding the illegal invasion of Iraq and its tragic consequences to cope with. The enquiry into that fiasco was started two years ago this month and has cost well over £2.5 million thus far and as yet shows little sign of reaching a credible conclusion.

Leaving aside Afghanistan which in itself is a disaster, we had the MP's salary and expenses scandal followed by the mother of all financial crashes.

It aint rocket science to see a common involvement.

I don't think anyone likes a coalition simply because a mixture of oil and water usually results in an emulsification into a sticky gloopy mess, rather like we have at present.

To be fair and from an apolitical viewpoint, this particular brew has endured a particularly nasty attempt to derail it from the get go. Despite all the trouble we as a nation seem to be in it appears that nobody wanted it to work.

Maybe it was all put together in a rush and this would appear to be still the case with all the deviation of schemes and blind alley reversals.

I, like a few others misguidedly thought when the Con / Dem alliance was formed that we might, just might get something to work here as I think most of us had sussed out Bliar, Brown and the rest of the shabby crew.

Indeed it seemed to, albeit for a short while. Clegg played his hand with very great skill, extracting a great deal of blood from the arteries of Tories. Of course he has been found out and looks to be rather anaemic and wan from the effort.

What of the opposition? We seem to fare no better here, the leadership spat between the brothers Grimm, whilst not as murderous as the original Cain and Abel it has not exactly been their finest hour with union bosses reportedly rueing the election result.

The real tragedy? after 13 years of Labour control we have according to Sir Terry Leahy, the former chief executive of Tesco, such poor standards in our schools and universities which has resulted in our youngsters being ill-prepared for work. Indeed business leaders have come out and stated that our folk are simply not good enough to employ.

What an indictment when one considers that such luminaries - or so they would have you believe - as Ed Balls, Alan Johnson, Ruth Kelly and Charles Clark have all sat in the schools ministerial chair during the last regime.

I look around and in all honesty I cannot see one party or even one MP that I would have any confidence in at all.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
People in our country seem to have had enough with politics in general and politicians in particular.

A small snapshot of relatively recent times reveals that we have had all the lies surrounding the illegal invasion of Iraq and its tragic consequences to cope with. The enquiry into that fiasco was started two years ago this month and has cost well over £2.5 million thus far and as yet shows little sign of reaching a credible conclusion.

Leaving aside Afghanistan which in itself is a disaster, we had the MP's salary and expenses scandal followed by the mother of all financial crashes.

I don't think anyone likes a coalition simply because a mixture of oil and water usually results in an emulsification into a sticky gloopy mess, rather like we have at present.

To be fair and from an apolitical viewpoint, this particular brew has endured a particularly nasty attempt to derail it from the get go. Despite all the trouble we as a nation seem to be in it appears that nobody wanted it to work.

Maybe it was all put together in a rush and this would appear to be still the case with all the deviation of schemes and blind alley reversals.

I, like a few others misguidedly thought when the Con / Dem alliance was formed that we might, just might get something to work here as I think most of us had sussed out Bliar, Brown and the rest of the shabby crew.

Indeed it seemed to, albeit for a short while. Clegg played his hand with very great skill, extracting a great deal of blood from the arteries of Tories. Of course he has been found out and looks to be rather anaemic and wan from the effort.

What of the opposition? We seem to fare no better here, the leadership spat between the brothers Grimm, whilst not as murderous as the original Cain and Abel it has not exactly been their finest hour with union bosses reportedly rueing the election result.

The real tragedy? after 13 years of Labour control we have according to Sir Terry Leahy, the former chief executive of Tesco, such poor standards in our schools and universities which has resulted in our youngsters being ill-prepared for work. Indeed business leaders have come out and stated that our folk are simply not good enough to employ.

What an indictment when one considers that such luminaries - or so they would have you believe - as Ed Balls, Alan Johnson, Ruth Kelly and Charles Clark have all sat in the schools ministerial chair during the last regime.

I look around and in all honesty I cannot see one party or even one MP that I would have any confidence in at all.
I concur matey, How about you and I finish off the job Guy Fawkes started???? You don't need as much Semtex as he did gun powder and therefore its not so detectable.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->

Very very good post.

But do think that there are a few back benchers who are very honest and believe in what they are doing.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 01:03 PM

come on Hammer, there must be one MP out there that can be trusted, even if it only until he succums to the rest of parliaments get rich quick expenses system.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

05-07-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
come on Hammer, there must be one MP out there that can be trusted, even if it only until he succums to the rest of parliaments get rich quick expenses system.
There were a couple I felt able to trust but very sadly they are no longer with us, I refer to Robin Cook and Mo Mowlam, both curiously from the Labour party.

Mr Cooke was a fine parliamentarian with integrity, he resigned from the cabinet because he didn’t believe that military action in Iraq was justified.
I would wager that there are very few cabinet ministers who would intentionally put themselves out of a good job just on a point of principle however right that was.
He was admired by all the other party MP's because he was simply one of the rarest of breeds, an honest politician.

What can we say about dear old Mo?

Well being brutally fair, she was an awful politician. She was down to earth with no airs and graces. Always spoke in a straight manner and was not above sticking a few effs in to the conversation if the situation demanded.
She actually cared more about people than her reputation and had a wicked sense of fun even when she got shafted by Blair and Mandelson. Shining above all is the undeniable fact that she was honest.

Maybe she would have got more recognition if she had been like so many around then and now, we all know the sort, more faces than the town hall, smug, self-serving morons.

I would really like to know of any that can match those two.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 11:45 PM

I have to say Hammer, I have a soft spot for Mo Mowlam myself, not only for all the good work she done in bringing peace to this Island, but also because she was so natural and ordinary and she kept the smile all through her years of suffering. It will be a long time, if ever, we get the likes of her again. God rest her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top