Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Re: Home versus Holiday?

Surely it's not a question of her not being able to afford the carpet, rather that her priorities lie elsewhere, ie in travelling.

I think I'm a bit like her. Travelling and experiencing other cultures is an enriching experience, and if you enjoy it, as I do, it is a hugely important part of life.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Surely it's not a question of her not being able to afford the carpet, rather that her priorities lie elsewhere, ie in travelling.

I think I'm a bit like her. Travelling and experiencing other cultures is an enriching experience, and if you enjoy it, as I do, it is a hugely important part of life.
No she can not afford a carpet and her holiday costs have gone onto her credit card.

Why people use credit cards at all beats me.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
No she can not afford a carpet and her holiday costs have gone onto her credit card.

Why people use credit cards at all beats me.
Question AB - who are you to question her life-style choices??? - if she chooses to expand her knowledge and experience of other cultures - that's entirely her choice instead of replacing her carpet - good for her!!!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Question AB - who are you to question her life-style choices??? - if she chooses to expand her knowledge and experience of other cultures - that's entirely her choice instead of replacing her carpet - good for her!!!
Joe you are not seeing the bigger question that I am asking.

I am not questioning her lifestyle choices, I asked why holidays come before your home environment?

People are entitled to live how they choose, what I am trying to find out is how people think and why they make those choices.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Hmmmmmmm Do I detect a note of jealousy in your question and statements on this matter AB matey???
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

25-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Hmmmmmmm Do I detect a note of jealousy in your question and statements on this matter AB matey???
Not one little bit Joe, I have been there done it and got the T shirt so holidays dont matter to me any more even though we still have days away.

I am just curious why people spend unaffordable money on other things that are not necessary other than as some form of relaxation, rather than their home environment which they rely on for shelter and home comforts for most of their life.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2011, 04:16 PM

I'd say because they get more emotional satisfaction from the trip than they do from making possibly necessary repairs on their house. Some people are more emotionally attached to their home, their shelter, their castle than others. At least that's my slant on it.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Maybe the real question is how can some people choose to live in debt by taking credit for none essentials luxuries. People living a lifestyle beyond their means with an I want it now attitude whether they can afford it or not; be it holidays cars or whatever. It's happening all the time to a larger or lesser degree in the never never society.Would it concern you the same if she was paying for the holiday without taking credit?
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

26-07-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by rueben ->
Maybe the real question is how can some people choose to live in debt by taking credit for none essentials luxuries. People living a lifestyle beyond their means with an I want it now attitude whether they can afford it or not; be it holidays cars or whatever. It's happening all the time to a larger or lesser degree in the never never society.Would it concern you the same if she was paying for the holiday without taking credit?
I agree we are living in a Me Me world with no thought about spending beyond our means by a lot of people.

I am not concerned about 'her' holiday it was just a generalisation as to what is happening and I was trying to understand the mentality of it.
ruby
lancashire
ruby is female  ruby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 08:46 AM

It's a case of priorities.My priority would be the carpet and not the holiday.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top