Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2020, 11:14 PM

Re: What Will You Do As the Lockdown Ends?

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Yep, me too! I read the ones I have SO slowly to make 'em last, it nearly did my 'ead in.

I'm on the last one now which I wasn't very enamoured with initially. I've had to resort to that. It's ok(ish).

I don't feel able to buy any in the s/markets as I figure they might have been manhandled or coughed on and I don't want that in my bed
I always take the book I am buying from the back of the pile.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2020, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I always take the book I am buying from the back of the pile.

Clever dick

I just might do the same
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2020, 11:56 PM

Clever dick

I just might do the same
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 09:35 AM

Clever dick

I just might do the same
Perhaps everyone does that.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 10:13 AM

I bought two this evening from Tesco. This lock down is costing me a fortune.
If I buy a book it has to be one I know I'll enjoy. I'd be cross if it was rubbish.
I follow a crime fiction page which recommends books, but they seem to be mostly modern crime and I like vintage or historical stories.

At least library books have plastic covers you can wipe
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

30-04-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
If I buy a book it has to be one I know I'll enjoy. I'd be cross if it was rubbish.
I follow a crime fiction page which recommends books, but they seem to be mostly modern crime and I like vintage or historical stories.

At least library books have plastic covers you can wipe
I'll buy anything if the blurb on the back about the story appeals to me. Most are good but some I admit don't appeal, so I leave them & start another, but I do finish them eventually.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 12:08 PM

Probably go out and get myself a little part time job.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 12:14 PM

I bought two this evening from Tesco. This lock down is costing me a fortune.
Would online books be better value, no idea as I've never gone in for them. I know they are quite popular. Unless you are a person who just likes the feel of a 'real' book? No risk of picking up any viruses either that way.

http://www.loyalbooks.com/Top_100

Link courtesy of Judd's post #10 on thread below:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...18#post1897018
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

30-04-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Would online books be better value, no idea as I've never gone in for them. I know they are quite popular. Unless you are a person who just likes the feel of a 'real' book? No risk of picking up any viruses either that way.

http://www.loyalbooks.com/Top_100

Link courtesy of Judd's post #10 on thread below:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...18#post1897018
I don't do kindle, I prefer a proper book.
Amazon are OK but not as cheap as the supermarkets, (I have bought from there books not available in the super markets) most supermarkets sell their books for £8 for two.
I always used to get most of my books from charity shops or car boots, never paying more than £1 for them, sometimes much less. I passed them back on reading them.
I am very careful with the new books & do not bend spines or crease pages.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2020, 03:00 PM

I don't do kindle, I prefer a proper book.
Amazon are OK but not as cheap as the supermarkets, (I have bought from there books not available in the super markets) most supermarkets sell their books for £8 for two.
I always used to get most of my books from charity shops or car boots, never paying more than £1 for them, sometimes much less. I passed them back on reading them.
I am very careful with the new books & do not bend spines or crease pages.
All I know about online books is that they are often formatted in such a way that a device is necessary to read them. However, I have also read the there are now ways of converting those formats to others, that leads me to thinking they may be able to be read on a laptop or desktop.

Charity shops must be the best bargains, I know many people donate them. There's no value in secondhand books, apparently, at least not for anyone who needs to get rid of them.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top