Join for free
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 04:43 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I,being the dashed fine chap what I am,just assisted an elderly lady of the female variety,to re-shoe her horse. Well,when I say ''assisted'' I do,of course,mean ''did all the work'' myself,including trimming his hooves [which is why it'd come off in the first place]-and was rewarded with ''Could you possibly poo-pick for me while you're here? It's my hips,you know. I find bending difficult these days''. So yes,yer man ended up traipsing around massive a field with a wheelbarrow full of horseshi...er...I mean,tottering around the field being 'informed' which poos to pick up!!!

Apparently one has to leave them to 'mature' [Yes,that's exactly what I thought! Great minds DO think alike] for a while,prior to actually spreading the damned things on one's toast.
WHY,do you female types want horses ANYWAY?
I need espresso and a guitar-in that order!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2019, 05:37 PM

I think that elderly lady saw you coming Pugs and thought I can rein this one in. She cetainly put you through your paces but be thankful she didn't shove a bit in yer mouth and lead you off into temptation. You know what these horsey types are like.

The only horse I have ever owned is my clothes horse. It may look a bit knackered now but it has stood me in good stead over the years and no poo picking needed either

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 11:48 AM

I had a strange dream last night, I have never before had a mountain featured in a dream, but there I was in a pair of flimsy silk pyjamas sitting on top of a huge mountain freezing to death, surrounded by snow I was looking down on the white clouds passing by, then suddenly a fierce wind blew me off the mountain and I woke up on the bedroom floor looking up at the wife’s fat posterior beached at the edge of the mattress, she had made one gigantic move to successfully dump mankind from the bed, Oh dear God, if ever a man suffered.

It seems to me that back in the time of Christ and indeed long before that, mountains played a big part in peoples lives.
Flip through any bible or religious writings and mountains are everywhere. People went to pray on mountains, fasted on mountains, asked for favours from God on mountains, Christ himself was tempted by the devil on a mountain, Moses gets his ten commandants on a mountain, Noah’s ark lands atop a mountain, Christ ascends to heaven from a mountain etc etc.
I am tempted to ask what would they have done without mountains? What about the faithful who lived on the flat desert? The seafarers who spent months at sea, never seeing a mountain?
Even today we have songs advising us to “Go tell it on a mountain” and “Now I shout it from the highest hill” The EC once had a butter mountain, Abraham was on a mountain when he offered to slice his son’s head off to please the Lord, and what about Mohamoud, he had a whole mountain come to him, some folks have all the luck.
I’m now convinced that the bible could never have been written without mountains, perhaps someone should write a new flat bible for those of us who don’t have a mountain handy.

Here's my favourite song about mountains, written by that great old songwriter of yore Percy French and performed here by Don McLean, lovely scenic spot too.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
I,being the dashed fine chap what I am,just assisted an elderly lady of the female variety,to re-shoe her horse. Well,when I say ''assisted'' I do,of course,mean ''did all the work'' myself,including trimming his hooves [which is why it'd come off in the first place]-and was rewarded with ''Could you possibly poo-pick for me while you're here? It's my hips,you know. I find bending difficult these days''. So yes,yer man ended up traipsing around massive a field with a wheelbarrow full of horseshi...er...I mean,tottering around the field being 'informed' which poos to pick up!!!

Apparently one has to leave them to 'mature' [Yes,that's exactly what I thought! Great minds DO think alike] for a while,prior to actually spreading the damned things on one's toast.
WHY,do you female types want horses ANYWAY?
I need espresso and a guitar-in that order!
Good for you Pug, all those horsey folk live longer than the rest of us, must be something to do with the horse shit, there are more centurions in the horse game that any other game, so you can look forward to extra time after that good deed.
Funny thing we had our own version of a verse in “Mountains of Mourne” about the digging for gold in the street.
“And for all that I found there I might as well be
Shovelling up shit on the Isle of Capri”

God I’m bored stiff today and it’s lashing rain outside, the wife’s having her afternoon nap and the dog keeps dropping the ball in front of me wanting to play in the garden, no deal Rocky.
Another “Carry on” film on the TV, alright they were funny at the time but do we still need to have them rammed down our necks? They must think everyone over 60 has dementia and can’t remember the films so they have a sort of merry-go-round system for us oldies, and let’s face it, we are the only ones who watch TV any more, hence the bombardment of life insurance and “don’t forget us in your will” ads.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Jem, it is possible you are making a mountain, out of a molehill.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 12:58 AM

Oh! Please,Sir;over here,sir!

I watched-sort of-a Carry On film today,sir! Carry On Constable,actually-and what caught my eye was actually Leslie Philips,he of 'The Navy Lark' fame.
Although I was Hellishly busy,I actually brought proceedings to a halt while't a very fine film was watched. Yes,I agree it's facile by today's standards,plus yes the humour mayhap past it's 'Sell by'' date-but a JOLLY good feel-good film,nonetheless. Oh-and ALL of us sat and watched,with tea & ginger biccies! [coz when it comes to to Carry On films,Sid James is KING!]
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 07:00 AM

Scribblers, there is a problem! all these era filums, what if a minion felt the nostalgia at the premiere, what's left 50 years on.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Browsing the various news papers this morning a line from an article caught my left eye....Brace up, show some gritty British discipline and wear a vest!..so being one of those true blue gritty Northerners made from sterner stuff I gripped my hot water bottle more tightly and read on

Question was about heating and this planets problem "is October a bit early to be putting the heating on?".

If you are over a certain age sitting there freezing.... No it is not.

Considering you have to be dead to see a doctor these days catching a cold should be avoided at all costs and lets be honest here Pensioners invented the 'lets have a Duvet Day' cos they can't afford to put the darned heating on anyway.

Preaching to us oldies who remember what real cold without central heating was like is a bit like carrying coals to Newcastle. Back in the day many of us who experienced that kind of freezing cold saved the planet many times over so did our bit. Now where are me gloves and shawl

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

14-10-2019, 09:06 PM

We’ve been lighting the fire since the beginning of this month Solo, actually the government here start to pay the fuel allowance on October 1st, if you don’r start using heating fuel from then on they want their money back at the end of the Winter year, ... fat chance.

I always liked Sid James Pug, he had a head on him like a half chewed toffee as me Mother used to say, I was very surprised to read he was not a cockney by birth, he was born Solomon Joel Cohen to a wealthy Jewish family in Johannesburg South Africa and didn’t come to Britain until 1945, he worked as a diamond cutter for some time before he went into acting, he was a hard man for the gambling I believe. Rest his soul he was always was good entertainment, and who can forget his crackly laugh.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

14-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Jem, it is possible you are making a mountain, out of a molehill.
I’m so glad you brought up molehills Spitty gives me an excuse to talk about wormholes.

There could be wormholes on top of some mountains as they all fit into the same latitude. What are wormholes?

“Wormholes are solutions to the Einstein field equations for gravity that act as "tunnels," connecting points in space-time in such a way that the trip between the points through the wormhole could take much less time than the trip through normal space” Wiki.

As I’ve said many times all this stuff is way beyond me, but it still holds a strange fascination for me.
I watched a documentary about wormholes in space the other night, very interesting, it showed a huge “Gateway to the stars” somewhere in Mexico where a huge doorframe is built into a solid rock mountain, at the bottom is a small door where it’s said that thousands of years ago a high priest took a disc of gold, inserted it into a indenture in the door and disappeared body and soul into space, people pray there today and some scientists believe the door to be the opening of a wormhole.
There are areas of high magnetic fields stretching right across the equator to the pyramids in Egypt and these places seem to attract the most UFO sightings, the Bermuda triangle is along that latitude too, it could be they are landmarks for ancient space travellers who came here thousands of years ago and thought mankind many things, it’s believed they use blackhole-wormhole-transportation, they still drop by every now and then to see how we’re getting on, bet they’re very disappointed with us and sorry they bothered in the first place.
Seems to me wormholes are the way to go, forget all that travelling to Mars at great risk and enormous expense, just find the end hole of a wormhole, climb in and you can travel where you like for free.

“Scientific artists impression of the Cygnus X-1 blackhole, scientists have theorised that a bridge between two black holes can create a stable wormhole"

You may say it’s all poppycock, too many holes in that theory, but I’m going to investigate further, starting by going out to the back garden tonight to see if I can find a big enough wormhole so as I can disappear for a while, if successful I’ll tell you all about it when I get back, if I don’t get back I’ll be floating around the arsehole of a wormhole forever, hope the smell is not too bad.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top