Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 04:33 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
My dear old man was in charge of everything combustible, he used paper and other stuff to get the thing going, spose you could say, the Fossil Fueled the Fire.
I used to dread being asked to hold a newspaper to the fire to get it to draw..I usually ended up nearly setting the living room on fire. Gawd we did live dangerously in those days
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2020, 09:34 PM

Back to basic ideas for a lot of folks.
There were other uses for buckets in the old tenements years ago, but let’s not go into that.

Speaking of tenements.
I remember the old folks talking about this particular chemist shop when I was a youth, it seemed everyone had great faith in this man.

Harry Mushatt was a native of Lithuania, he settled in Ireland and set up his “chemist” shop in Dublin’s poorest tenement district, known as the Liberties in the 1920’s. An excerpt from “Dublin Tenement Life” helps explain what the times were like back then.

“You never saw doctors.* You could go to a chemist and even if your throat was cut, he’d give you a cure for it.* He’d put a dressing on it.* Mr. Mushatt was in Francis Street-he was the masterpiece, for a bad chest, bad back…..from north, south, east and west, people’d* come for them.* People trusted him as he concocted his own old fashioned medicines in the rear compounding room.* His lotions, potions, and tablets were thought to be the purest medicines.* People really believed in them, swore by them.”

And Harry Mushatt’s own words.

“We made our own medicines in the shop. My brother and I made up forty-four different preparations, from skin ointments, psoriasis ointments, foot pastes, stomach bottles, skin crčmes, tablets for kidneys, headaches, neuralgia….all different things. Oh, there was a bond of trust and they’d come into the shop and it would be packed out.* Tenement people, if one wasn’t feeling well, or met with an accident, Go to Mushatts!, they’d say....They came from all over Dublin”

Sure enough Mr. Mushatt was yer only man and all you had to do was tell him what was wrong with you and he would make you up something for it, and he was always on the ball. He also had a wicked sense of humour.

This event is true because the wife’s mother lived in that area when she was young, I have never known her to tell a lie God rest her, she told me that one day her father was on his way to work when he developed a severe stomach pain, he was right outside Mushatt’s and went in.

“Mr. Musheatt, I’ve an awful pain in me belly, It’s a big day in work today and I’m running late, can yeh make me up something in a hurry?”
“No problem Sir, by the way, the Pope was in here earlier with the very same complaint”
“Your havin me on, I don’t believe you!”
“Well you asked me to make up something in a hurry”
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2020, 10:25 PM

Jem, you are a popeless romantic.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 12:45 PM

You can't beat a good Herbalist and I'm not talking about these expensive 'Alternative Medicine' posh shops that try to emmulate the good old Harry Mushatts of this world

Being taken to the Doctors for me was always a hit and miss affair whether I survived the medicine prescribed ..or died from the side effects (still the same today) and knowing that our old Scottish doctor wisely told my Mother "Lets see what the Herbalists can do first".for which even at that young age I was extremely thankful for.

Herb treatment was quite acceptable and families had trusted ones they used for most aches and pains. You learnt your first lessons about being 'dosed' at the Herbalists..If it smelt orrid ..it was...and when he said "If it taste bad it will do you good" that was pretty accurate as well...and what kid in those days didn't dread going to school reeking of some herbal ointment that got worse as the classroom heated up. Deep Heat had nothing on our smells I can tell you...and believe me you have never lived until you have been literally smothered in camphorated oil

Most of what did me good came from our old herbalist and I still stay with that method today where possible. Over the years the conventional medicine that I have been able to tolerate has been few and far between so I have had reasons to bless herbs many a time over.

Not only stuff you swallowed or slapped on but drinks too. Dandelion and Burdock wine..Nettle beer.. home made proper like mind you ..Non of this shop bought stuff comes close in taste. All herbal and does you a power of good at the same time...and no one breathing down your neck for drinking either.

A lovely clip on herb use.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 06:34 PM

Fair play to you Solo, you know what’s good for you. Very interesting video that, thanks.

I was shocked to hear by phone that my old mate from childhood has passed away a victim of this terrible virus, he was the same age as meself 74 and a fine tall well built man, but had a heart condition and the last time I had a pint with him was Christmas Eve, he was a terrific friend to have and I’m not the better of hearing that bad news.
One of my first cousins is in intensive care with it too, she’s 71, it really drives it home to you when those you love have this cursed thing, so my apologies if I’m a bit down in the dumps.

Just when you think things can’t get any worse I was out in the garden yesterday and I stood on the business end of a rake, yes that kind of thing you see in Laurel and Hardy films, I got a good whack of the pole end and I was left with a bad headache and the customary shiner.
When I went inside the wife seen me and starting laughing when I told her what happened, but I can’t blame her, I would have laughed if too had it been her, it was so stupid.
Then to cap it off the internet went down and it’s been on and off all day long.

Look after yourselves folks in these depressing times.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Fair play to you Solo, you know what’s good for you. Very interesting video that, thanks.

I was shocked to hear by phone that my old mate from childhood has passed away a victim of this terrible virus, he was the same age as meself 74 and a fine tall well built man, but had a heart condition and the last time I had a pint with him was Christmas Eve, he was a terrific friend to have and I’m not the better of hearing that bad news.
One of my first cousins is in intensive care with it too, she’s 71, it really drives it home to you when those you love have this cursed thing, so my apologies if I’m a bit down in the dumps.

Just when you think things can’t get any worse I was out in the garden yesterday and I stood on the business end of a rake, yes that kind of thing you see in Laurel and Hardy films, I got a good whack of the pole end and I was left with a bad headache and the customary shiner.
When I went inside the wife seen me and starting laughing when I told her what happened, but I can’t blame her, I would have laughed if too had it been her, it was so stupid.
Then to cap it off the internet went down and it’s been on and off all day long.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your childhood friend Jem, this virus is so cruel.

It's also sad to hear your second cousin is also in intensive care with the dreaded virus, I truly hope she will start to improve soon. Every good wish to her.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2020, 07:39 AM

Another clip on Herbs.

This time in the Forest.

solo
UK

18-04-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->

My thoughts are with you at this sad and troubling time Jem and I although I cannot lessen the loss of your long time friend I will hope for a speedy and full recovery for your cousin.

There must be a few of us on OFF who due to varying sheilding diagnosis are wondering if we will ever do or see normal things again..Quite a mindset to get your head around isn't and each of us will have a different take on that. Me....well my take on it is I am going to go out into my garden and hopefully will do something as daft as you did with that rake as not only will it knock some of those thoughts out of my head but make me laugh at myself as well.

The beauty of our Leisurely spot is it is just that..Leisurely with no demands on your time... so whilst you have other things to think about and that shiner to heal know we are here when you are ready to scribble Jem.

Stay safe and remember Aprils distance means Mays existence

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

18-04-2020, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
So sorry to hear about the loss of your childhood friend Jem, this virus is so cruel.

It's also sad to hear your second cousin is also in intensive care with the dreaded virus, I truly hope she will start to improve soon. Every good wish to her.
Very kind of you Mags, many thanks.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

18-04-2020, 09:32 PM

Thank you Solo for your lovely post, much appreciated.

God Spitty you’re a bit young to remember Herb Alpert & the tijuana brass, wasn’t it the 60’s when herb was popular?
By the way, did you ever buy the “How to play guitar in a day” book by Bert Weedon?, I did 60 years ago and I still can’t play a single chord. We were all conned, well and truly Wee’d on by Bert.

It’s an ill wind that doesn’t benefit some, I noticed the TV stations have greatly increased the amount of ads they put on, also the quality of some films they show have slightly improved, it’s a definite boost for them as they were sinking rapidly, less and less folks were watching TV, now they have a captive audience, most were switching over to the streaming net films where they can choose what to watch.

The wife got stuck into “Guess who’s coming to Dinner” today, resulting in me getting no dinner until it was over. She is a big Sidney Poitier fan ever since she saw him with Lulu in “To Sir with Love”. I always tease her by asking her what his surname is, she can never pronounce it properly (no more than I can, I never bother struggling with the French words I take the easy way out and just call him Sidney Potter) anyway I get a good giggle when she has a go at saying Poitier, “Po-dee-hay” is one, but “Sidney Potty-hair” is her best one.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top