Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 11:02 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Sidney Poitier in The Defiant Ones... absolute classic film

Those dear old Leprechauans must be smiling on you and fiddling with your TV knobs over there as we have so many repeats it's like time travelling backwards...and by backwards...I do mean backwards big time. It would seems the TV companies are very reluctant to entertain us if it means losing viewing figures in the future. I see repeat and let my fingers do the walking till I hopefuly find something new to watch...and that is getting harder by the day.

Being a bit puritanical about my fresh food I have a thing about it being tampered i.e chemicals /wastage and so on... so I always look forward to the programme Food Unwrapped which gives a simple ..no nonsense look at the way food is produced with more than a few surprises thrown in to shock or surprise the old brain box. Take for instance the green bean..when you see a packet of only straight green beans you know for sure something is amiss and some sort of monkeying around is taking place.

When I think of all the lovely nourishing soups I could make with those chopped off bendy bits...I could leap up and down beating my chest in despair.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Sidney Poitier in The Defiant Ones... absolute classic film

Those dear old Leprechauans must be smiling on you and fiddling with your TV knobs over there as we have so many repeats it's like time travelling backwards...and by backwards...I do mean backwards big time. It would seems the TV companies are very reluctant to entertain us if it means losing viewing figures in the future. I see repeat and let my fingers do the walking till I hopefuly find something new to watch...and that is getting harder by the day.

Being a bit puritanical about my fresh food I have a thing about it being tampered i.e chemicals /wastage and so on... so I always look forward to the programme Food Unwrapped which gives a simple ..no nonsense look at the way food is produced with more than a few surprises thrown in to shock or surprise the old brain box. Take for instance the green bean..when you see a packet of only straight green beans you know for sure something is amiss and some sort of monkeying around is taking place.

When I think of all the lovely nourishing soups I could make with those chopped off bendy bits...I could leap up and down beating my chest in despair.

How would you know the sexual orientation of a Green Bean, just by looking.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
How would you know the sexual orientation of a Green Bean, just by looking.
Gerra away wiv ya spits..No way am I spilling the beans
solo
UK

20-04-2020, 12:58 PM

Now shielding to me means I have a gorgeous looking gladiator type lurking in the background should I need him. One who is prepared to take a swipe at all and sundry to protect me....well my gladiator is not quite like that. In fact having received a message to expect a phone call..I did..and guess what..2 rings and because I didn't sprint fast enough to answer...my impatient gladiator hung up !!!! 2 rings..I ask you....Not even an Olympian gold medalist could have answered in time...

and another thing... 6 months presciptions all in one go. What do they know that we don't! Thats not shielding..thats temptation should you get a tad miffed at being given even more confirmation that you are not only old..infirm..and past it..and likely to be banged up for ever and ever..and everrrrr. You might go doolally but you won't catch Cov19 theory.

I can feel the rebel rousing inside of me so I am going to beat the living daylights out of an innocent cream coloured bathroom mat...and don't look that that either.... it's not shielded

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 10:00 PM

I wonder if you fed the bandy beans to Kangaroos would you get jumping beans?

Well I did say SOME of the films have improved, I can’t be criticising them all the time, not fair that.
"Six Days and Seven Nights” was on yesterday, that wasn’t too bad a film, then we had “Anne of a thousand Days” not bad either, and quite a few more I found that I’m too lazy to type out, granted all repeats, but with a fair sized gap between showings, that is a rarity these days (the gap between showings, it keeps getting narrower) but compared to the crap soaps they show from 30 years ago under laughable titles such as “CLASSIC Coronation Street” and “CLASSIC Emmerdale Farm” they are a breath of fresh air to me anyway, but the wife loves them, the word ‘Classic’ has been devalued greatly over the years, same as the word ‘Expert’
“Classic Coronation Street” how are yeh, pardon me while I double up laughing.

Ha ha Solo, it’s gettin to ya at last, don’t give into it, stand up and fight lassie!
God it’s a long time since I heard that word “Doolally”, fair play to you for reminding me.
I’m still holding out, but just about.
Six months prescriptions? well that tells it’s own story, it means the rest of Spring and the whole of Summer will have gone down the Swanee for us this year.

In the meantime I have a problem someone might be able to help me with.
My little dog Rocky2 is badly in need of a coat clipping, he’s a terrier (I think, I know very little about dogs) and I have already cut the hair away from his eyes with a scissors, he was going doolally chasing flies he couldn't see, poor thing.
I have an old hair clippers I used to do me own hair with, I was going to do him with it tomorrow, now my problem is, which end of the dog do I start on, the head or the tail?
Maybe I should I leave the task to the wife?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 06:36 AM

Start at the tail Jem, that way, if the pooch gets bored with proceedings, at least he can Lick his Ass whilst you finish him off.
solo
UK

21-04-2020, 11:25 AM

I always thought terriers were meant to be scruffy and tatty as it is part of their charm. Makes you wonder how dogs coped before all this poncifying began and I bet you didn't know this.... that a haircut can leave a dog feeling embarrassed and depressed.... and when that hair is gone from around the eyes they don't feel like the same dog. Us humans have all had a bad haircut at one time or another and know how it leaves you feeling.

Now I have given you a good excuse to get out of doing the deed so it's up to your good lady now.

See what I mean

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2020, 10:04 PM

Ha ha, yerman did a better job than I could do.
Once I read that dogs get embarrassed and depressed I immediately transferred the job to the wife, after all he is her baby, I couldn’t sleep at night knowing me poor little mate was embarrassed and depressed downstairs, thank you Solo.

When I was a young man I always preferred the company of older men when I was having a pint. Each of them always had something new to tell you that you’d never hear from mates of your own age, I learned more that way than I ever learned with mates or in school. Listening and observing can tell you a lot about people and their habits.
I would observe for instance one particular old retired man come in for his pint in the evening, it was a sort of ceremony the way he did the same things every time he paid a visit to our local, he would take the newspaper out of his pocket and place it on his left side of the bar counter, take off his cap and put it in his right pocket, next he’d draw the barman’s attention “Soft auld day Con, the usual please” When the pint was placed before him he would look at it from the right then from the left, raised it slightly as if to weigh it, put it down again, it took on the reverence of a chalice, and when everything was to his satisfaction his right hand grasped the class and one unmerciful swallow was taken leaving the glass half empty, a gentle bang on the counter as he put it down again, a big Ahhhhh… and the handkerchief came out to wipe the cream off his white moustache, but (for him) the best was yet to come, he would proceed to the sacred ritual, that of the pipe, I won’t go through all that with you but all the old pipe smokers will know what I mean, preparing the thing for lighting is half the pleasure in pipe smoking.
I was sort of looking forward to becoming a happily retired old man like him one day, but alas, along came the bloody smoking ban and that kicked the pipe smoking out the window, I was so angry that time that I remember saying to the wife “I hope the minister responsible for bringing it in dies with smoke coming out of his arse” “Oh Jem! what a horrible thing to say”
I said it but of course I didn’t mean it, I’d never seriously wish harm on anyone.

I’m thinking now of the peace pipe the Native Americans used and then that tragic tale of Running bear and poor little White Dove, I loved the record when it came out, but it was so sad.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

21-04-2020, 10:38 PM

solo
UK

22-04-2020, 10:46 AM

The smell of pipe smoke can still invoke such powerful memories.....My Granny (105) was a clay pipe smoker till the day she departed this earth due to her tripping on the home made rag rug in front of the coal fire where she had gone to light a spill to get her pipe going. She had some right stories to tell but she could never have imagined wanting a puff on her beloved pipe would be the finish of her.

It was fascinating to watch her smoke and twiddle the stem around her mouth whilst she told one of her tales and although a hearty cougher she never dropped the thing as she said it took too long to get a new pipe used to how she liked it so I guess there was an art to it all and she would have none of the fancy named pipes either as she said a clay pipe was 'ladylike' whereas my Father always swore by a Petersen pipe.

Whilst he often wondered at how a cheap clay pipe could possibly give the same pleasure as a dear one it was obvious that price did not matter at all to the user..it was what you were used to and comfortable with using....and the many discussions on what tobacco mix to use was enlightment in itself purely for the fact Granny was a no nonsense flake user and had no time for any of your "so called fancy mixes"....her words not mine.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top